For those who process their own deer

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
I'm giving serious consideration in starting to process my own deer this year. Already shopping for a grinder, have a vacuum packer,...

One thing I'm concern about is what to do with the carcass and hide when finish? I live in a subdivision and throwing it out back and letting the possums and 'yotes take care of it wont work.

So what do you do with your?

I'm pretty sure I can't drop it at the local dump (Knox Co).

tks,
trap55555

rukiddin

I buy the heavy duty contractor bags from Home Depot. I put the carcass in there and tie the bag closed. I go to the knox co dump and put them in the dumpster just like any other garbage. I don't advertise it, I don't announce it. Just do like anything else. Never had anything said to me.

gatodoc

rukiddin? said:
I buy the heavy duty contractor bags from Home Depot. I put the carcass in there and tie the bag closed. I go to the knox co dump and put them in the dumpster just like any other garbage. I don't advertise it, I don't announce it. Just do like anything else. Never had anything said to me.

Freeze it first and it's less likely to attract attention....

RackRocker

trap55555 said:
I'm giving serious consideration in starting to process my own deer this year. Already shopping for a grinder, have a vacuum packer,...

One thing I'm concern about is what to do with the carcass and hide when finish? I live in a subdivision and throwing it out back and letting the possums and 'yotes take care of it wont work.

So what do you do with your?

I'm pretty sure I can't drop it at the local dump (Knox Co).

tks,
trap55555
I may be wrong on this but I am fairly certain you can take it to the dump. It is processed food so therefore makes it legal. Seems like I remember a thread pertaining to this awhile back.

44fanatic

R.I.P.
I live in a subdivision so the property is out.

I have taken one to the local dump and they actually brought a vehicle around to me to get rid of the carcass. I have also disposed of another carcass with the local trash pick up, fortuneatly pick up day was the next day.

I dont think you can dispose of a carcass on WMA's.

cecil30-30

I feed mine to the dogs.All the bones,including the ribs and backbone we cut up into small pieces with a saw zaw throw it all in a big pot and boil it for a few mins,and they love it.By the time the end of deer season comes,there are bones scattered all over.

DaveB

I live in a subdivision. I bone out the carcass, cut what's left up into pieces, and goes into garbage bag and into the big green can. Never a word.

Dumping them in a field may explain why there are so many coyotes around. Probably have a TNDeer badge on their shoulder.

Pursuit Hunter

Funny story about throwing the carcass in the trash. A coupe years ago I killed a deer in early bow season several days before the trash pickup. I bagged it in a contractor bag and threw it in the can. After a couple days in the heat, it got pretty ripe. The morning I put it out, there was a buzzard flying up and down my street looking for it. I figured the neighbors (and the trash collectors) probably didn't appreciate my disposal method, so I started skinning and quartering the deer at my hunting property. I put the meat in a cooler and leave the carcass in the woods for the buzzards.

Football Hunter

rukiddin? said:
Thats the ticket!

bowriter

R.I.P.
If you have garbage service, cut the carcass into parts and freeze them. Then, the night before pickup, just put them in bags and in the regular garbage. I have been doing that for years.

Latest posts