FOOD PLOT IDEAS???

deerslayer25

Im just about to plant some secret spot and just curious of the likely hood of the deer eating it during bowseason???? Do i need to tape of the area and how tall and thick should i let it grow before hunting it?? also plan on doing some tecomate and hot spot in the woods and wonder how much i should plant??? bowseason rifle season and mussleloader. When you i expect to hunt it??? morning, evenings??? Greeneville,TN

tnclayboy

You can hunt it the day after you planted it if season was open.
You wouldn't believe the deer that will check out a freshly plowed field, the deer love just about anything , when its sprouting , so if youre a week or two before season getting it planted you should have some green come opening day . food plots are usually better in the afternoons, but that is not always the case.as for the seed aplacation ,read the bag and put out what it recomends or a little heavier if you so desire.I usually seed the whole plot once ,then if I still got seed left over ,I seed it twice walking a different direction.

deerslayer25

What do you recommend to attract the deer?? i'm not seeing many deer in the area anymore due to poachers and stupid hunters??? corn, trophy rocks etc....

Chris Tripp

always nothing out there said:
What do you recommend to attract the deer?? i'm not seeing many deer in the area anymore due to poachers and stupid hunters??? corn, trophy rocks etc....

get a trail camera and get it out to get a true handle your population.... what do you mean by stupid hunters? your a hunter right?

tnclayboy

I think if I had to choose from two seeds it would be wheat and White clover. Wheat is cheap it is hardy it will draw deer in all winter . clover will keep the deer and turkeys around . White clover is a perinial meaning that once you plant it it will come back on its own for about 3 to five years . However clover needs to be cut a few times in the spring and summer months and spot spraying for weeds helps . It is a little work but worth it . That being said I plant a mixture of wheat, oats and ,winterpeas with an area of clover in every plot . If youre looking for a good seed mix to plant .
One I used to use was pennington rackmaster .It did well for me.

deerslayer25

oh yea i like to hunt from my stand like most normal guys with that being said couple of neighbors blaze through the fields in vehicles and shoot every deer they see b/c they're stupid hunters haha Do it right or dont do it at all is the way i like to do it.

deerchaser007

Plant as much as you can ,.. and for the love of god, don't hunt over the top of it. Hunt a funnel or active trail leading to the plot or a active trail from the plot to a bedding area. You will see much better results this way!!!

Stalker

Biologic has a variety of things, I used a mix that worked great. I can not remember the name but it has 3 plants in it, a type of Rye Grass, a type of clover and either brascia or chicory. I waited until we had a good chance of rain and once it was up about 6 inches I put 10 10 10 out, again on a good chance of rain. My food plot looks like a 1 acre garden...and the deer are in it every day. I will say that it is good to make sure that you put it out in good soil. Mine is in a low spot near a run off creek that stays fairly damp for days after rain. Not wet but if you rake back about an inch the soil is dark in color and is cool to the touch. Also try to locate your food plot so that your deer stand is between bedding areas and the food plot. This way you can catch them going to and from each location instead of spooking them out of their dinning area or bedroom.

Stalker

Also, what evrery one else says about new growth...IS TRUE! Anything you put out, when it starts to sprout deer will be checking it out. Even if you just mow a few strips, as they begin to naturally grow back the young tender shoots will attract deer...