Food dehydrators

Vermin93

I'm thinking about adding a dehydrator to my processing arsenal to help with jerky making and other things. I'm wondering if anyone has one and whether they feel it's a worthwhile investment. I did a quick check online and it looks like you need to spend $200 - $300 to get a model that has consistently good reviews.

One of the main reasons I'm interested in one is because I like making jerky. Right now when I make jerky I use my electric smoker from start to finish. The smoker is great for adding smoke flavor at the beginning of the cooking process, but it's not so great at finishing the cooking process. I'm thinking it would be easier to start the jerky in the smoker for an hour or so and then transfer it to a dehydrator to finish it off. I've also thought about just using the oven on low temp to finish the jerky, but I'm wondering if a dehydrator would produce better results.

Trapper John

I smoke for an hour or so then dehydrate the rest of the time. I'm sure someone will give you reviews on a good one. I'm using an old cheap one from Wal-Mart and it works fine. Once it dies (Going on year 10 right now) I'll upgrade. The only complaint I have is it's small.

Forvols

I have an excalibur 9 tray 2900. Had it for about 4yrs, made plenty of jerky, dried fruit. Well worth the investment. Have had no issues what so ever with it. The excalibur has the fan in the back this provides better air circulation meaning no need for tray rotation. Also the fan etc is not getting dripped on by whatever you are dehydrating...my opinion you cant go wrong with the excalibur line.

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/exmoded2.html

Here is the next step up the 3900

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/ed3900.html

tony

Vermin93

I researched it a little more and the Excalibur dehydrators sound like really good. I found the 3900 for $200 shipped with no sales tax and pulled the trigger. Can't wait to try it out on a batch of jerky.

dmonty

I have one of the small size Cabela's brand cabinet models and it is great if you do alot of jerky. It is easy to clean and is force air type so jerky dries very evenly,has timer and adjustable temp.i normally do around 20 lbs at a time and this only fills it about half way.

Forvols

93 - That is a great deal, I went and checked my its a 3900 - I think I paid 225.00 for mine. I believe you will be very happy with the excalibur. Also you can put a timer in line with the power source and there you go. Just make sure the Timer wattage rating is correct for the 3900

Tony

TAFKAP

For the money, I'd just start it in the smoker for the flavor, then finish in the oven. You can pack a whole lot more in the oven than a dehydrator. Run a toothpick through each strip, then suspend the strips vertically. Lowest setting with the door cracked ought to finish the job.

DaveB

Thing is Sir Vermin, how do it work?

My $49.99 (on sale I think) Open Country BPS 7 tray dehydrator works pretty good, had it two years and have beat the stuff outta it, still going strong. Does jerky pretty good, fruits and stuff are okay if you like your fruit dried.

BackwoodsBoy

I use my dehydrator quite often for jerky and dehydrating fruits and peppers...Im a big jerky fan, makes a great snack to carry with when out hunting, trapping,or fishing..

somc74

I've got an Excalibur 9 tray that's honestly 9 or 10 years old and I could tell you how much jerky its made but we dehydrated over half our garden last year and this year. zucchini and squash chips with olive oil and salt...Man!!! Put those in a half gallon mason jar and vacuum seal it. they will be crunchy like potato chips next year

Latest posts