Flying with ammo

TennesseeWJ

I'm guessing someone in here has flown their ammo out to their hunt.

Has anyone put their rounds in something other than a factory box and flown with them without problems?

I'm leaving soon for a Colorado elk hunt, taking my 300 WSM. I load my own rounds, and if you have looked at the price of factory 300 WSM rounds, you will probably understand why I haven't purchased any factory rounds for the firearm.

That being said, everyone I have talked to has recommended I put my ammunition in a factory box so I won't have any issues with the airport - problem is I have no factory ammo boxes and I prefer to not spend $50 on a box of factory ammo when I can load much nicer rounds for less.

I have very nice boxes for the ammo and my understanding of the regulations is that the ammo just has to be separated within the box (i.e., in slots) and the box must be secure. According to my interpretation, my boxes fit the bill; however, I don't trust airports so I was hoping someone here has had experience flying without factory ammo boxes.

megalomaniac

no problem putting the ammo in an aftermarket box such as frankford arsenal or midway specials. I just stuck the box of ammo in the gun case, along with my knife and scalpels in case I killed something I needed to cape out (in addition to my t shirts and underwear :) )

Latest posts