Wyoming elk draw with 10 points

TNRAMBLINGMAN

Anyone have any experience in WY hunting elk? After 10 years of building points, I am looking for a guided rifle hunt on private land. Would like to discuss WY in general with anyone who has been there. Have hunted elk in other states, but I know very little about WY.

Thanks

nwsg76

Your in a good spot. If archery is your goal then I would look at unit 45.
I have hunted and will be returning to hunt private in unit 33 in 2021. Takes longer for outfitter to get opening than for the points...
You only get those points once or 2x in lifetime.
Another option is to go guided in unit 7.
What's your budget?

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
That is a great question. You might want to invest some time on other web sites that cater to western elk hunting. There are a lot of forums out there to ask that very same question. It's a great planet where you can ask so many "eyes" and have people willing to respond. Best of luck with your hunt. That is a a decade of dreaming.

megalomaniac

you want to go with wagonhound or tangle ridge outfitters for WY elk. I have no personal experience with either, but both have been in business a long time and are very reputable.

AT Hiker

Ask yourself what type of hunt. Horseback, lodge, mountainous, sage flat, grizzly/wolf, rifle/archery etc.

Once you have that narrowed down then look into those regions and specific units. Lots of websites that list draw odds or you could go old fashion and dig through the WY Game and Fish site for odds.

Not sure what 45 is up to on odds now but that part of the Big Horns is nice. The better hunting is in the Wilderness so a reputable guide is a must. 45 has a archery tag and a later rifle tag, fyi. Also, 7-J has a wilderness camp in 45 and I highly recommend them.

Good luck and keep us posted. I'm a few points behind you in no mans land. My only hope is a random draw. After that, I'm done building points for premium units. Actually, my second WY elk hunt will be a guided trip into the Thorofare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Pond

AT Hiker":1hzo3350 said:
Ask yourself what type of hunt. Horseback, lodge, mountainous, sage flat, grizzly/wolf, rifle/archery etc.

Once you have that narrowed down then look into those regions and specific units. Lots of websites that list draw odds or you could go old fashion and dig through the WY Game and Fish site for odds.

Not sure what 45 is up to on odds now but that part of the Big Horns is nice. The better hunting is in the Wilderness so a reputable guide is a must. 45 has a archery tag and a later rifle tag, fyi. Also, 7-J has a wilderness camp in 45 and I highly recommend them.

Good luck and keep us posted. I'm a few points behind you in no mans land. My only hope is a random draw. After that, I'm done building points for premium units. Actually, my second WY elk hunt will be a guided trip into the Thorofare.

the Thororfare hunt would be the trip of a lifetime!

Latest posts