Flying vs driving

nwsg76

10,000 ft....will kick anyone's rear... good shape or round shape....that elevation adds cardio factor that is hard to adjust too. drive and get there a day early to adjust to elevation. Don't want elevation sickness.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
We drive it every year. I have never priced flying a hay burning mule from middle Tn to Craig Colorado. We take WAY to much stuff to fly….way to much

casjoker

Well, I was outvoted 2-1 add the wife being ticked about not having the truck around in case she "needed" it and we are flying. Knoxville to Denver round trip $450 per person and $35 per check 50lbs bag. Another $700 for a rental once there puts me around $720 to get there and back. Oddly, flying vs driving we don't gain anytime on the sound one vs the other. Hopefully, it goes well. I told them if we do it again next year we are driving then we can compare the two experiences.

AT Hiker

Ive driven back from Yellowstone with a 6 month old baby, drove straight through. If you can do that you can drive anywhere, lol.

I prefer to drive and prefer to drive straight through, maybe a power nap at a rest stop, but if the other person wants to get a shower and hotel on the way back Im usually game. I personally hate getting to the airport, dealing with that and then dealing with a rental...it never seems to go smooth. Flying also has a way of wearing me out, I just feel like "blah" after a flight.
Driving to that elevation has an advantage too. You slowly acclimate to it, might not make a difference for you but it could also make all the difference in the world.

Best of luck and hopefully you guys do it again next year. Make sure to share your story with us here too!

megalomaniac

Pluses and minuses with each.

Like said before... solo... fly, no question; 2 people, drive it straight through taking turns sleeping.

That being said, my son and I are flying to Wyoming this Sept for antelope. First of all, I'm not quite comfortable with him driving exhausted on his turns behind the wheel. Second, it's just so easy to kill an antelope, pick the best 50lbs of meat to freeze in a cooler, then check the cooler as your 2nd checked bag on the airline to bring back with you.

backyardtndeer

When I took my oldest daughter to hunt in Wyoming, I drove. She was 14. We stayed in Nebraska on the way, got up and went on into South Dakota and visited Mount Rushmore and drove in into Wyoming. We hunted 5 days. The last day, I killed my antelope mid morning and we wrapped it up. Got up at about 4 am, we were pulling out about 5 am. I drove straight through from Gillette Wyoming back to West Tennessee, took about 20 hours to get home. We had a mule deer and two goats in the coolers on dry ice and the capes. Also had elk and deer sheds I picked up off the ranch that I was ok'd to bring home. With all our clothes and gear it was tight. Had I taken a deer, it would have been really tight, but I am sure we would have made it fit.

When I go back, I will drive.

tellico4x4

Well, I was outvoted 2-1 add the wife being ticked about not having the truck around in case she "needed" it and we are flying. Knoxville to Denver round trip $450 per person and $35 per check 50lbs bag. Another $700 for a rental once there puts me around $720 to get there and back. Oddly, flying vs driving we don't gain anytime on the sound one vs the other. Hopefully, it goes well. I told them if we do it again next year we are driving then we can compare the two experiences.
With as screwed up as airlines are now, not sure I'd fly anymore if they gave me the plane 😂

Few weeks ago it took my daughter 45 hours to fly from Nashville to Anchorage, due to cancellations. Last weekend my granddaughters flight from Charlotte to Huntsville was cancelled twice. Friday 6:30 PM, 7:00 Sat AM & finally got out at 1:00 PM Saturday.

Good luck with trip & enjoy the experience!

Joe2Kool

I see you're flying. Good luck and post pics.

For me, driving is the way to go. Done solo hunts to Crested Butte CO, Firth NE, Greybull WY, and others. Although the trip back from Greybull had a 5 day stopover for whitetail in SD. Doesn't really save money to fly when you factor in the rental vehicle.

swd

I did the 30 hour drive to Idaho a couple of years ago with my wife. Never regretted it. Flying adds a lot of cost if you achieve what you're setting out to do, not to mention the risk of delays and cancellations these days.

Mattt

We make it at least once every year except this year. Youll be fine. I usually stop for a power nap at the sportsman's travel center in ks. 24 hr corn dogs are the bomb and elk and deer mounts to look at. I usually drive the whole way as my kid will go to sleep lol

gtk

Staff member
I'm headed out to CO tomorrow pulling a camper, by myself, then picking up some friends and headed on in to WY. Wish me luck :) I've never made this drive alone.
Somebody must have sent me bad vibes. Could have been my wife since we were supposed to move into our new house last week.

My truck transmission overheated causing tx fluid to boil out vent tube and ended up having to drive sloooow to keep temps down.

Had multiple opportunities to get an antelope. I cannot tell you the last time I missed an animal with my rifle(s), and I am ashamed to admit how many times I missed last week. (btw: antelope are a small target)

I still had a good time though

Latest posts