Flounder anyone?

catman529

I know this is not TN fishing, but this summer I will most likely be going on vacation with the family to Cape May, NJ and will do as much fishing as possible. Last time I only caught dogfish and skate, not much fun. Clams and squid most likely for bait.

I have wanted to catch a flounder previously, and this year I really want to make it happen.

I will be only surf fishing in several locations on the beach. No boats, but there are some rocks in places to get out a bit farther to cast.

Has anyone been to the shore and caught flounder? Got any advice if so? Tide level, bait, location, presentation, etc.... Thanks all. If nobody's been flounder fishing, let's talk about some river channel cats or something...

jb3

While crabbing off a dock in Charleston, SC last fall we caught'em using shrimp. Didn't have any size, but still fun.

Diehard Hunter

Look for a sandbar close to deep water around the rocks. If you can get Bull minnows, they are the best bait. Otherwise live shrimp or even Gulp Shrimp. i use a treble hook and slowly drag the bait across the bottom on a fishfinder rig. I have had days where I got sick of cleaning flounder.

They will move up on the beach at night too, in very shallow water. one of the largest ones i have caught came out of 6" of water right on the beach.

You pay attention, they only hit once to take the bait, so keep that line tight.

A medium action spinning rod makes it alot of fun.

catman529

dang, sounds like a lot of fun, thanks. 6 inches of water at night... was it in a harbor or something? I will most likely use my 7' med-heavy Ugly Stik with either 15 or 17 pound mono. Might just have to try it at night if I can find a good spot. Will look for some shrimp or minnows, also will ask some locals what the fish are hitting and where at the time.

Diehard Hunter

I catch mine off the beach when the water is calm. If you can find a cut, predators will be inside the cut close to the mouth, flounder included. the hardest part of beach fishing is reading the beach/water. If you can read the beach/water, you can catch alot of fish. If you can't, you will cast alot.

Look for an area along the beach where the sand drops off steeply. There will be a deep hole right out from it. If you look on out in the water, you will see that the waves dont break as much straight out from it. that is the cut. A few feet left or right of the cut will produce nothing. in the cut will wear out your reel. At night, larger fish move into the cut and the deep water close to the beach, trapping bait in there. Fish the deep pockets and you will catch fish.

Diehard Hunter

BTW, I have hooked fish i could not turn in waist deep water at night. I was using 13' rods and 85# Power Pro line. Never slowed them down.

Trapper John

Diehard Hunter said:
I catch mine off the beach when the water is calm. If you can find a cut, predators will be inside the cut close to the mouth, flounder included. the hardest part of beach fishing is reading the beach/water. If you can read the beach/water, you can catch alot of fish. If you can't, you will cast alot.

Look for an area along the beach where the sand drops off steeply. There will be a deep hole right out from it. If you look on out in the water, you will see that the waves dont break as much straight out from it. that is the cut. A few feet left or right of the cut will produce nothing. in the cut will wear out your reel. At night, larger fish move into the cut and the deep water close to the beach, trapping bait in there. Fish the deep pockets and you will catch fish.

What he said.

If by any chance you get to fish off a dock a jighead with a grub or shrimp on it dragged slowly across the bottom is fun too. At night you might even get a few slot reds.

Latest posts