Flock breakup yesterday

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
The flock in my holler must've broke up yesterday as they are gobbling in from all over instead of the same place (over the corn lease). Heard six different birds, only two together, none in my property which is normal this early. Two of my daughters are very anxious to get out and hunt this year, one is only 7 so she can't shoot a shotgun but she'll be fun to hunt with!

Gravey

The flock in my holler must've broke up yesterday as they are gobbling in from all over instead of the same place (over the corn lease). Heard six different birds, only two together, none in my property which is normal this early. Two of my daughters are very anxious to get out and hunt this year, one is only 7 so she can't shoot a shotgun but she'll be fun to hunt with!
Dont let that stop her if she wants to. My son killed his first deer at 7 and turkey at 8. He had a Mossberg bantam 20ga and I let him shoot it with 2 3/4" shells but I had it patterned with 3" and loaded it that way to hunt. When he squeezed the trigger on that bird he felt nothing and not sure he knows now that I did that and he's 21.

30-06 type of guy

Get her a .410

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Dont let that stop her if she wants to. My son killed his first deer at 7 and turkey at 8. He had a Mossberg bantam 20ga and I let him shoot it with 2 3/4" shells but I had it patterned with 3" and loaded it that way to hunt. When he squeezed the trigger on that bird he felt nothing and not sure he knows now that I did that and he's 21.
It's more that she hasn't shot a shotgun and isn't interested in shooting, she just wants to go out with daddy :) She's big into being outside with me even while I'm working.

megalomaniac

One of the big groups a mile away from one of my TN farms still hasn't begun to break up as of yesterday per report from one of my friends up there. That flock doesn't usually break up into individual breeding groups until first week of April normally.

Harold Money jr

Well I was happy too soon. I came around the curve at my farm and saw a gobbler flopping out in my pasture. I then noticed a car with a man hastily getting back in. They sped by me and I was able to get their tag number. I called TWRA dispatch and gave them all of the info. I'm not expecting much. It was a 2yr old and very heavy, its crop was so full of clover and weeds that it was tight. Btw they shot it with a rifle, the pieces of crap.

bowhunterfanatic

Well I was happy too soon. I came around the curve at my farm and saw a gobbler flopping out in my pasture. I then noticed a car with a man hastily getting back in. They sped by me and I was able to get their tag number. I called TWRA dispatch and gave them all of the info. I'm not expecting much. It was a 2yr old and very heavy, its crop was so full of clover and weeds that it was tight. Btw they shot it with a rifle, the pieces of crap.
Some things I'll never understand. Sorry you had to deal with that crap.

Bgoodman30

We have about 10 gobblers we are estimating, but only a handful of hens (maybe 10). That worries me

Yep lower numbers of hens and Jakes everywhere I look. All in spite of the regulation changes everyone was screaming for....

tree_ghost

Yep lower numbers of hens and Jakes everywhere I look. All in spite of the regulation changes everyone was screaming for....
You know I just moved from an area that I believe to have one of the strongest flocks in middle tn. For the past 3-4 years the hatch in that area has been incredible! Every hen I seen for those years seemed to have at minimum 10 jakes and Jennie's with very few lost throughout the summer. This past year I saw multiple flocks of hens with NO poults to speak of!!!! No major loss of habitat, no more predators, no more hunting pressure than normal…..

Bgoodman30

You know I just moved from an area that I believe to have one of the strongest flocks in middle tn. For the past 3-4 years the hatch in that area has been incredible! Every hen I seen for those years seemed to have at minimum 10 jakes and Jennie's with very few lost throughout the summer. This past year I saw multiple flocks of hens with NO poults to speak of!!!! No major loss of habitat, no more predators, no more hunting pressure than normal…..

Yep. So many folks on here in the past yelling for change. We're destroying the resource blah blah blah.

We got big change and the results aren't there.. I saw poults last year but lots of them were late hatches and apparently few survived.. But I am reporting from my bubble. Folks can't see them yet because gobbler numbers are looking better.

Latest posts