Fletching Question.

TheAirMan

How long do you leave the clamp on before taking it off to glue on another vane? I wait 5 minutes now. I want to leave it on long enough to make sure it will hold but I don't want it to just sit there if I can go ahead with another vane. I'm using fletch-tite platinum and a Bitz.

Toxophilite Phil

Biggest thing in getting good fletching adhesion is starting with a clean shaft. The best way to clean the shaft , carbon or aluminum, is Ajax. Have 2 cups of clean water on hand and a couple of lint free rags. Dip a rag into clean water and wet the shaft just where the fletching will be. Take another rag and shake a small pile of Ajax onto the rag.Dampen another rag and dip it into the pile of Ajax.Rub this onto the shaft.It doesn't take a lot of Ajax.Just remember to use the clean water to get the shaft wet and to wipe it off. The other cup is for having enough water to use with the Ajax to keep it moist and it isn't a paste on the shaft. Don't mix rags in each cup of water, you'll end up with no clean water on hand and have to get another cup of water. Rub just the area where the fletching will be. Then take another rag and start wiping the Ajax off. Use enough clean rags till the shaft starts to squeak. Now DO NOT TOUCH this spot with your hands. Do not take another rag an rub on it to dry it. Let it air dry. Once dry you can go about fletching it. Just make sure that the clamp and fletch is making good contact all along the base of the fletching. This will insure good adhesion. Another sure bet is to let fletching cure for 24 hours before shooting a new fletching job. You can also clean denatured alcohol, not rubbing alcohol it has some oil based things in it. Both methoods work and allow for good results in cleaning a shaft.

Latest posts