Fizzle Pan story

Chickencoop96

To add to hunting from the ground. back when I was about 13/14 I was just beginning to cut my teeth on deer hunting. Between my Dad, both Grandads, and my late Uncle Garrett Litton, I had it pretty good as far as deer wisdom. I had just got my first Muzzleloader from grandad, and it was a Pedersoli 40. cal. flintlock. from Dixie gun works. Well, we were set to hunt on a property nearing Alvin C. York's stomping grounds. Myself, Uncle Garrett, Grandad, and a couple of my cousins all loaded up in the trucks and went. It was cold and extremely foggy that morning, and while we were getting unloaded I decided to load my Frizzen. Garrett, without hesitation, said " I'd wait till this fog clears out to do that". But I decided otherwise! I said " Nah it'll be fine" He just Chuckled. I would soon regret. After Me and my grandad had been napping up against a very large oak tree, finally a six point buck came slowly trekking by at about 15 yards. Perfect setting right? Grandad went to hand me his MZ, but I insisted on using mine. "Shoot Em'" he urgently whispered as I rose my rifle to my shoulder. As I took aim I let out a subtle "Bleat" the buck stopped perfectly broadside right in front of us, and he knew his time was up LMAO. when I squeezed the trigger and the lock released all you could hear in the woods was a resounding "FFFFZZZZZZZSSSSSSSHHHHH!!.......ZZSH...." "sh*%" I whispered. yep..... my powder was too wet to ignite the barrel. and that deer took off like rocket blowing and all, never to be seen again. Grandad and Uncle Garrett Laughed about that for years. My nickname in family became "Fizzle Pan". every Christmas and Thanksgiving or any other family event I would hear them say "here comes ol' Fizzle Pan", and even to this day when MZ season Rolls around, Papaw still calls me that. Maybe that should be my User ID LOL.

Wobblyshot1

Good story...I like "Fizzle Pan" which is kinda akin to my "Wobblyshot". It's associated to a time long ago spent off hand shooting with a muzzleloader.

As far as hunting deer, I had a similar story back in the 70s with my first ever muzzle loading rifle. It was a Zouave .58 loaded with a prb. It also had a #11 nipple instead of the usual musket one. I was a real greenhorn with only a few books by "experts" to guide me. The books said to make sure your barrel was clean....the bore of mine shined like a new nickel. I must have missed the part where I was supposed to make sure the nipple vent was clean and unobstructed. Anyway, I was on a hunt at Natchez Trace first time muzzle loading for deer. I was on the ground with my back to a real thicket scanning what appeared to be a good spot out in front of me when suddenly to my right out stepped the prettiest, fattest, perfect little eight at 25yds broadside....POP but no boom....deer runs off. The gun not firing caught me by surprise and I did the only thing I knew to do....I stayed put and recapped. Not ten minutes later to my left at about the same distance appears a spike with the longest horns I've ever seen on one.....POP but no boom #2....deer runs off. Now, I was really frustrated, immediately recapped and pointed at a nearby mound of dirt....BOOOM!. Needless to say, I had learned a hard lesson. Later, I got to know some older than me guys that actually used flintlocks and they became great friends as well as mentors. I soon got me one and with their help learned how manage it. In my 40+ years hunting deer, off and on, with a flinter I've never once had a flash in the pan when shooting at one....didn't say I haven't missed one, however.;)

Gravey

My first mz was a knight t5 woodsman and I always fired one cap through it before loading if it had been clean. One morning I was getting ready to and my cousin asked me what I was doing and then proceeded to say it wasn't necessary. He was 10 years older so figured ok and loaded it. I was sitting at the base of a tree and had a small buck heading my way. Wind was perfect and when he stopped I squeezed the trigger. Nothing but "pop" for the cap. I was pissed and on our way back to the hotel he got worried his wouldn't go off so we pulled over and he shot it into the ground. I can laugh about it now but I was highly ticked back then.

Chickencoop96

My first mz was a knight t5 woodsman and I always fired one cap through it before loading if it had been clean. One morning I was getting ready to and my cousin asked me what I was doing and then proceeded to say it wasn't necessary. He was 10 years older so figured ok and loaded it. I was sitting at the base of a tree and had a small buck heading my way. Wind was perfect and when he stopped I squeezed the trigger. Nothing but "pop" for the cap. I was pissed and on our way back to the hotel he got worried his wouldn't go off so we pulled over and he shot it into the ground. I can laugh about it now but I was highly ticked back then.
I'd be ticked too lol! that is pretty funny lol