First Public Buck Story

TonyB

Excitement and anxiousness filled my bones this morning as I was finally ready for my first sit of the year. After missing opening weekend for the first time in 5 years, I could not wait to get into the woods.

After getting up too early from not being able to sleep well, I began the task of checking and double checking my gear. Every year it seems like that first sit requires relentless inspections of my bow, climber, bag, and harness. After much pacing and gathering, it was time to get into the woods.

This year has been so busy with work, kids, and wife that scouting my set up and checking my trails has not been a priority. As I navigated through downed trees and overgrown weeds/grass I was able to get to my spot.

As I sat 15ft off the ground I admired the sun peering through the trees as the fog hovered and lifted from the lake. Peace at last! After about an hour of beautiful silence and admiring the good Lord's handiwork, I start to hear leaves rustling behind me about 40 yards away in the CRP. Assuming a squirrel was storing acorns for the winter, I slowly peek behind me to find a beautiful sight!

A monster 10 point coming through the CRP on a seasonal creek trail. I could not believe my eyes! I have hunted this spot and these woods for the past 5 years and have seen nothing bigger than a 6 point. Here was a buck of a lifetime and on public!! As my heart raced to 170 beats per minute, I began shifting slowly to my 6 o clock to get in position for a chance at a shot. As I start shifting I notice behind the 10 is a small 6. In position, I sat silently ready to draw at the first opportunity.

I watch, I wait, and I pray they continue to walk towards me. Suddenly i see the 10 point look up and veer off the path about 25 yards from me walking backing up the trail in the thicket. I just new I was busted. As the 10 walked through the woods in the thicket the 6 continued down the trail. Stopping and licking his nose, the young buck I'm sure was wondering why his buddy veered off the path and left him behind. Slowly the 6 walked through the CRP to the tree line hesitantly checking the landscape for sign of danger. As soon as he cleared the trees at 15 yards I let if fly. Instantly I knew it was a solid clean hit. He ran for 30 yards and I heard him crash.

Shaking like a leaf in the wind, I texted the wife and told her to get the boys ready and to come to the access point. I met them there with a smile I'm sure they will never forget. We walk back into the woods and start the tracking process. I was able to teach my boys how to track and the importance of tracking and recovering a harvest (something I had to learn on my own). As my 5 year old led the charge, we walked right up on the 6 point.

At this point I was able to teach my two sons a small prayer/poem that I started saying years ago when I started hunting. We now call it the family hunting prayer when taking an animal for harvest. I will never forget this moment as long as I live.

I started to field dress the deer. After 1 cut my oldest agreed it was not the right time for him to learn this process and could not stomach the process. After a mile long drag ( I have to get a cart), possibly a mild heart attack, and a 30 minute drive to the processor, our deer was checked in. 126 pounds dressed.

We went to chick fila for lunch and again talked about the hunt.

I do wish the 10 point was the deer I took today but this day and this deer will always be worth more than points and a total score. This deer will be remembered as my 1st public buck and more importantly the deer I got to track, recover, and experience with my sons.

What a day!

Now it's time to get after that 10 pointer!!

Attachments

• Resized_20221008_081644.jpeg
    Resized_20221008_081644.jpeg
    336.5 KB · Views: 429
  • Resized_20221008_082656.jpeg
    Resized_20221008_082656.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 426

Wolverine72

Congrats. I'll never forget my 1st public deer 15 seasons ago.
I love to hear the public land stories. So much sweeter since you never know how it's gonna turn out. My heard broke for you when you said the big 10 took a turn. Go back and make a plan and get him!

Latest posts