Tennessee Elk Hunt last season Archery story

jwp1964

Absolutely amazing! Congrats to all involved! I applied in TN, KY and VA for elk again. I think the chance og getting a tag is about same as powerball, lol.

JeepKuntry

Maybe one day my name will be called. I will probably pay for an elk hunt in 5-8 years. A few of the kiddos will be transitioning out of the house for college by then.

hunter drew

A quick note...
the video where we walk up on the elk is the moment we actually found it. Talk about stress relief!!!
We did actually hear it fall.
And since it was the first dead elk we ever saw...we were stunned at it's sheer size!
I met 102 kinda by chance afew years ago. He scored the big Ohio buck I killed. His trophy room is impressive and his knowledge of bow hunting whitetail deer. Congrats sir on a fine trophy.

Thanks guys.
I thought Mr. Simms did a fine job of capturing the essence of that experience.

I had bowhunted Elk in Colorado twice, and Wyoming once. DIY. After that last Wyoming trip the year before last, I think we had decided that we simply lived too far away from those states to stack the odds in our favor trying to keep up with where the elk were in the areas we wanted to hunt. The scouting time was simply too difficult, and expensive, logistically.

And now that I have physically stood over a dead, mature, bull, we all realized packing one out of those western mountains could very easily WRECK a 65 year old body at least to the point where the risk of missing the entire deer season would be a serious threat.

I, like many other Tennessee deer hunters (as well as non-resident hunters), have automatically put my application in for that elk tag since it started. I NEVER even gave it a thought that I might get drawn. Seriously, never.

When the head of Tennessee Elk Biologists Dr. Brad Miller called (the day after my buddy watched the live stream) I had to ask him where the property was. I honestly had never considered it.

TWRA out did themselves. I have never seen such a helpful group of professionals.

To be honest, there was one mis quote in the article.
Simms said I had 345 whitetail to my credit. For the sake of clarity, that number does not include 40 gun kills. 345 is my bow kill total. Most of which were high pressured public/private land. And I specify high pressured because those deer act different after they get an arrow than low or no pressured deer do.

I also specify that to explain that I have a great deal of experience with how a vertical compound bow/arrow/broadhead combination affects wound channels on whitetails. And this statement IS my area of expertise! Recovering the arrow shot deer!

All kills are recorded with date, time, bow, broad head, affected organs, shot distance, blood trail distance, tag number, video autopsy of internal damage, entry/exit video, and other pertinent data.

This is to give ME credibility to help OTHERS LEARN how to become more effective at getting an arrow into, then subsequently RECOVERING their animal!

(RANT---I mean WHO would EVER want to take education from a hunter without credentials? Someone who had only a few years under their whitetail belts with only a few bow kills?

Who would EVER pay much heed to that person.

Unless of course they had a YOUTUBE channel. Then they are IMMEDIATELY an expert with INCREDIBLE experience, wisdom, and knowledge worthy of showing up on your private parcel to the tune of 2-500 dollars a trip for "land consultation" or to tell you how to set up and subsequently kill a whitetail---end RANT)

Try to say that on a deer talk forum while trying to promote education in bowhunting and not sound like a chest thumper.

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.

Every time I talk to hunters about deer recovery I can literally watch their backs begin to bow up as soon as I try to establish credibility.

Latest posts