Fixed pin or single pin?

TNDOC

I am entertaining trashing the fixed pins. I have always had a 20,30,40 and it has always served me well but with my new rig I have one starting at 25-55 (4 pin). I just can't seem to get past the multi pins but the other day I found my self getting confused on which to use and ended up using the wrong one. Well after finally finding my arrow I am thinking fixed pin. Any advice, any recommendations? I am totally lost on these things. I have only been recommended the HHA so far.

Have at it, tell me what you think.

thanks

TNDOC

Also let me know if you think I should space my pins... I just have a hard time with the 5 yard increments. I can't seem to start at 25 and wrk up by ten... I though about setting a 25 and 50... but that is a huge gap to judge with. Realistically I won't be hunting over 30... maybe 40 if i was feeling really really really good about the shot.

cecil30-30

I'd leave it at 3 pins..20 30 and 40..Thats what I use and have no problem with it.I could see 4 pins getting confuseing.Only one way to find out if its for you or not,just try it out,got plenty of time before season..138 days! :)

bobthebowhunter

HHA single pin adjustable would be my first pick. I have never had luck with pendulum sights.

stik said:
i hunt with 1 pin set at 25 yds. for open woods or 20 yds. in the thicker stuff.

I keep my wife's bow set at 20yds also.

W.Seay

hhA SINGLE PIN ADJUSTABLE! Thats all i use! I lock it down at the 25 yard mark and I am good out to 37 yards! There is no guess work and that is what I love about the one pin adjustable sights.I am also a MUCH more accurate shot with a one pin sight rather than a multi-pin sight, especially when I am shooting out at 75 yards!

ky doublelung

W.Seay said:
hhA SINGLE PIN ADJUSTABLE! Thats all i use! I lock it down at the 25 yard mark and I am good out to 37 yards! There is no guess work and that is what I love about the one pin adjustable sights.I am also a MUCH more accurate shot with a one pin sight rather than a multi-pin sight, especially when I am shooting out at 75 yards!

Wow must be hunting elephants if you are shooting them at 75 yards! :whistle:

TLRanger

Target shooting at 75 yards is fine but shooting at live game at that distance is unethical. Way too much room for error even if you are shooting at large game such as elk. BTW, I have always shot just one non-adjustable pin set at 20 yards and do not shoot at game that is over thirty yards away. The art of bowhunting is getting close.

bobthebowhunter

TLRanger said:
Target shooting at 75 yards is fine but shooting at live game at that distance is unethical. Way too much room for error even if you are shooting at large game such as elk. BTW, I have always shot just one non-adjustable pin set at 20 yards and do not shoot at game that is over thirty yards away. The art of bowhunting is getting close.

Who's to say what is ethical or not. So you're saying that if a person has to take a shot past 30 yds that he/she has not succeeded at bowhunting? No offense but this statement is loaded with opinions.

bobthebowhunter

POSSUM HUNTER said:
i used to have a video of a guy killing a mule deer at 115 yards in Co.

I too have heard of a good friend of mine that shot a Pronhorn @ 93 yds. Yes he killed it. I was not there, but there were 3 witnesses. It can be done, but not by the average bowhunter. Not me!!LOL

I like the reference to shinedown there possum.

TLRanger

bobthebowhunter said:
TLRanger said:

Who's to say what is ethical or not. So you're saying that if a person has to take a shot past 30 yds that he/she has not succeeded at bowhunting? No offense but this statement is loaded with opinions.

I say it isn't ethical to shoot at game at 75, 100, 150 yards. I am sure it has been done but there are a few reasons why you shouldn't do it.
1. Your arrow has lost most of its energy at those distances.
2. The sound of your shot travels about four times as fast as your arrow which will alert the game before the arrow ever gets to it.
3. The slightes error in judgement or movement of the game will cause a wounded animal.
There are many more reasons but if you prefer to shoot that far, go right ahead. I don't. I also don't hunt with anybody that does take those kind of shots.

JayMc

TLRanger said:
bobthebowhunter said:
TLRanger said:

I say it isn't ethical to shoot at game at 75, 100, 150 yards. I am sure it has been done but there are a few reasons why you shouldn't do it.
2. The sound of your shot travels about four times as fast as your arrow which will alert the game before the arrow ever gets to it.
3. The slightes error in judgement or movement of the game will cause a wounded animal.
There are many more reasons but if you prefer to shoot that far, go right ahead. I don't. I also don't hunt with anybody that does take those kind of shots.

I'll preface with "I wouldn't take a shot at a deer at 75yds", but your balistic data is not correct. My hunting bow shooting a whopping 272fps has k/e of 61.13 at 20yds and 55.92 at 75yds (still at 256fps). At 100yds the stats are KE of 53.70 and 250fps. That many foot pounds will kill anything roaming this continent at 100yds.

bobthebowhunter

JayMc said:
TLRanger said:
bobthebowhunter said:
TLRanger said:

I'll preface with "I wouldn't take a shot at a deer at 75yds", but your balistic data is not correct. My hunting bow shooting a whopping 272fps has k/e of 61.13 at 20yds and 55.92 at 75yds (still at 256fps). At 100yds the stats are KE of 53.70 and 250fps. That many foot pounds will kill anything roaming this continent at 100yds.

Jay, not that I am questioning your data. I just want to know how you got it. I would like to know the same stats for my rig. Did you use that software we talked about?

Big J

Well I know Chance has shot them at 80 yards and blown thru them. I am not Chance though so 30 is my limit as usual! Never changes!! LOL!1

JDBinTN

I like a single so I can practice 50-60 yds and set it so I can shoot out to 30 yds. while hunting. My personal rule is limit myself to half the distance I shoot well on practice range for hunting.

Latest posts