First year Duck hunting.

Head Hunter Extreme

Any tips for a beginner? I have just been going with friends but would love to get my own equipment. I have calls but not sure what I am doing with them. I found some decoys at Gander Mountain, but not sure how to place them on the water(formation wise, or do you just throw em out there?) I am trying to find a dog, so if anybody hear's anyhting shoot me a PM. :grin:

big B

I know how you feel you think you need all the gear and gadgets to go,truth is duck hunting is like a good bottle of bourbon just sip at first and make sure like the taste.

Krazyvol

I started about 3 years ago and love it. I have bought a few things along the way. It depends on where you hunt, but a good pair of chest waders was a must for where I hunt. I would suggest going with seasoned duck hunters to pick up tips. Also, there are some good articles online. Nothing beats experience though.

Head Hunter Extreme

big B said:
I know how you feel you think you need all the gear and gadgets to go,truth is duck hunting is like a good bottle of bourbon just sip at first and make sure like the taste.

Well I have been before in previous years but just pond jumping. I had some friends take me to Cherokee lake this year we have hunted 3 times so far and I absolutely love it. It is such a thrill.

WingNut

Man once your hooked thats it. You will give up all other hunting if you are serious about it. I haven't gotten the opportunity to hunt this year but the more I am away from it the more I can't wait to get back in it. Good luck

Spoonbillmallard

Yea as others have said just go with experianced hunters and learn from them. They will teach you better than word of mouth will. Plus they will teach you the things that you don't do while duck hunting...high balling ducks, sky busting, calling off others...stuff like that. But as far as decoy placement...there is so many factors that come into play when throwing out decoys you really need a good decoy technician to teach you in person. So it really comes down to it people who know what they are doing are the best teachers to have. Good luck for the rest of the season hope you get to kill some....I know most of the state is terrible right now but trying to keep optomistic about it. Hopefully there will be ducks soon...if not well i'll still be out there looking for them.

Head Hunter Extreme

Thanks for the information. I am really ready to get back out there. Hopefully tomorrow morning. It seems to me like the duck have been flying right at daylight and then we wont see any for a while. But first daylight though they are everywhere.

monsterslaya

This my 16th season of duck hunting and man it is the worst year I've seen in a while. First thing is be optimistic just like deer you think you have it figured out then you realize you don't. Second thing is get a good gun and call and some decoys don't go over board. Third thing is go with someone that knows what they are doing so they can teach you something.

Taylor

Plan A: Don't do it! Invest your time and money elsewhere!*

(Wish I woulda done that, but then I wouldn't have had as much fun, either! LOL. Heaven forbid you get addicted. It will take several REALLY bad seasons to cure ya, and then you still might not be cured.)

PLAN B: Pay the best duck guide you can find a lump some of money for one/1 spot in his blind for five to seven days of the season, particularly when the guide "has ducks." It will be hit or miss, but you will still come out way ahead.

* Note, I have never been able to follow my own advice, though I know it to be true.

Good luck!

Latest posts