First catfish of the year.... With a spinnerbait

B.D.

I haven't caught a catfish on a spinnerbait before, but I have sure caught them on crankbaits and spoons.

I have caught the heck out of catfish in the Harpeth on stoneroller minnows, though it's hard to keep the gar off them.

bd

catman529

B.D. you just told everyone my secret bait :D well not that much of a secret, the river is FULL of stonerollers. Caught most of my gar with them too, I like to throw one out without any weight in front of a gar near the surface of the water. They take it every time... but hooking them is a challenge. Caught some big cats, drum, even my biggest smallmouth on stonerollers. The smallie was about 18.5 inches if I remember correctly. Best bait I have ever used in the Harpeth.

Sawgrass

Don't mean to pop your bubble catman, but they's no secrets when it comes to stonerollers around here :grin:

catman529

Sawgrass said:
Don't mean to pop your bubble catman, but they's no secrets when it comes to stonerollers around here :grin:

But only the people with nets or traps know about them and use them. I know a few I have met while fishing who throw nets, or use traps, so it's definitely not a big secret but there are a lot of other minnows that get mixed in so I like to keep my stonerollers separate and use the others (shiners, chubs, etc) for the gar.

Latest posts