Finally Scratched my trout itch

jakeway

I've been travelling all week lately and either rain or too many errands on weekends. Finally my client up in East Tennessee offered to take me trout fishing after work. It was a wonderful way to adjust some attitude!

Tried various small-stream tactics like dappling dries and nymphs. Finally I got agressive with a weighted white Wooly Bugger in a small pool and caught a half dozen of these in the last 30 minutes of daylight. Pretty decent size fish from that kind of water, just casting from shore.

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_08631.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

jakeway

What was really neat was with the small pool and clear water, I could see the fish come up to the fly. Well over half of the fish just came up to the fly then refused it. When they did take it, I could watch them open their mouths and suck in the fly. I usually could feel the fish until I set the hook. Sometimes I struck too early and pulled it from them.

gil1

Hard to tell from the pic., but it looks like a pretty small stream. That's a heck of a fish for such a trickle. I assume it's still stocked water. Very nice!

jakeway

gil1 said:
Hard to tell from the pic., but it looks like a pretty small stream. That's a heck of a fish for such a trickle. I assume it's still stocked water. Very nice!

About 30 feet across. I was standing on shore-side rocks and frequently landed the fly on the rocks on the other bank when not careful.

I assume it was stocked. It's a public park/campground about 10 miles from the NC line, 30 miles south of Greeneville. Too far to go for a day trip from Nashville, but I'd like to camp there sometime. (During the slow season; it doesn't looklike it could stand up to a lot of fishing pressure.) I went back two days later and the fish were noticeable spookier; I only caught one that night, with about two dozen refusals.

This is the actual hole where we caught them, taken just before dark. Lovely spot! He caught 2 or 3 from the head of the pool, I caught 5 or 6 from between the log and where I'm standing taking this pic.

IMG_0859.JPG

Latest posts