Finally moving in daylight!- update, it's over

megalomaniac

Been an extremely tough season so far in south MS. I have not seen a deer before 515 thus far.

Front coming in tomorrow, so I hit the woods and pulled the cam. The buck I chased all last season has returned in the past week and has actually been moving during legal shooting hours! Game on!

I saw a 2.5 yo at 4pm cruising already. High hopes for the next 30 min
cfa283a3aa7211cc9f40cbab9338e384.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

update at bottom

megalomaniac

Re: Finally moving in daylight!

Small 8 fed for 1.5 hours with me. 2 does and a fawn came out at end of legal shooting light.

He's been on cam in mornings 2 out of the past 4 days, so I'm going after him in the am before rain starts

megalomaniac

I went after him yesterday morning... saw his buddy 8 that he broke off a couple days ago and an orphaned fawn. Wind is totally wrong to hunt that stand this afternoon, so I'm going into the thick stuff downwind of the plot and hope to catch him cruising just off the plot before dark. Just have to be smart.... he's fairly predictable and a homebody. He literally hit the plot every day last year until I spooked him leaving one evening.... he didn't come back after that fiasco for 2 weeks, but eventually settled back into his routine, but only at night.

He's been on camera every day for the past week... twice in legal shooting light

megalomaniac

Dagger to the heart...

He came out yesterday at 10am... 30 min after I left. Came out again at 8 last night and again at 10 am today.

I hunted 250yds off the plot, saw a doe and fawn, no big boy.

I can't figure out if this is the smartest deer on the planet or just the luckiest.

megalomaniac

Dagger to the heart...

He came out yesterday at 10am... 30 min after I left. Came out again at 8 last night and again at 10 am today.

I hunted 250yds off the plot, saw a doe and fawn, no big boy.

I can't figure out if this is the smartest deer on the planet or just the luckiest.

Andy S.

Ohhhhh, it's getting personal now. The season wrecker of whitetail deer. I've been beat to death by bucks like him over the years, but they make for some of the best chess matches ever, and best memories if you ever catch up with them. Stay with him, he's trying to die. :tu:

fairchaser

Good luck with him Meglomaniac. Try to be as unpredictable as he is. Your paths will eventually cross. You still have two weeks and he's hungry.

megalomaniac

I still have a month... Feb 14th.

But the problem is twofold... we have 15 other members in club... and we sign in and out as to our location. I'm sure the other members have figured out I'm on to a good deer in that area and will abandon their usual spots and head toward mine.

The second problem is this little thing called work... The only opportunity I have to hunt in the morning is Thursday after 8am and next Monday after 830am. I plan to go both days, but I really don't have much time... Maybe I'm feeling a touch of the flu coming on.. cough, cough

megalomaniac

went in EARLY this AM to hunt him... wind wasn't right, but it was the only chance I'll have for a week. What the heck, he avoids me when the wind is right, why not hunt with the opposite wind direction in case he's approaching my stand in the woods and picking me off before he comes in...\

sat till 1030 today, not a deer seen. Pulled the card; he switched back to nights Monday and Tuesday. Hasn't been back since Tuesday... that's a big change, as he's been there every day, sometimes 3x/ day for the past 10 days. Hope he hasn't been killed on the neighboring club.

Our club finally had our first 2 deer killed this week. Fellow shot a doe then the following day shot a small 2.5 y/o 8. Still no chasing that I've observed, but I suspect my deer is off in a thicket with a girlfriend.

Bone Collector

megalomaniac":qcvza3ig said:
Been an extremely tough season so far in south MS. I have not seen a deer before 515 thus far.

Front coming in tomorrow, so I hit the woods and pulled the cam. The buck I chased all last season has returned in the past week and has actually been moving during legal shooting hours! Game on!

I saw a 2.5 yo at 4pm cruising already. High hopes for the next 30 min
cfa283a3aa7211cc9f40cbab9338e384.jpg

Ironically the same thing happened here in TN. Season for bucks for adults ended Jan 6th and on Jan 7th had bucks I hadn't seen in a while show up. At first with other bucks then with doe fawns..... some of them in daylight the week of the doe only hunts. :? Oh well At least i know 3 of my bigger bucks made it and I got pics of deer I had never seen before. Older buck at night, but also with a doe fawn. Maybe he'll come around more regularly.

megalomaniac

Maybe today will be the day.... I hunted last Thurs till 1030.... he came out at 9am and 230 pm Friday

Back to nights Sat and last night. I about had a heart attack when this buck stepped out and I first saw him at 9am thinking it was big boy at first.

Another member is onto him I fear, this area is starting to get some pressure from him.

Gonna sit till 3pm, then have show choir stuff to attend
f39025d739f1676d05a8638e9c8cef81.jpg

megalomaniac

Back after him this eve. Wouldn't u know it.... I got down at 2pm Monday. He came out at 3pm.... aargh.

Hasn't been out in daylight since Monday, but was on cam 3 different times last night.

He's playing chess and I'm playing checkers.

Andy S.

megalomaniac":2p7dub8n said:
Wouldn't u know it.... I got down at 2pm Monday. He came out at 3pm.... aargh.

He's playing chess and I'm playing checkers.
Ha! Very much of that will make you want to set the woods on fire! :)

megalomaniac

no show since Thursday night/ Friday morn. I hunted hard, saw the broken 3.5 y/o.

I gave up, moved about 300 yards away from that location, as I've seen every buck on camera at that spot at least once, some multiple times hoping to find a new deer.

This buck popped out on the powerline I was set up on, had to make a snap decision, and decided to take him.

Fairly typical rack for our 3.4 or 4.5 y/o's down here. good size body on him.

He's only the 2nd buck killed on the 2000 acre lease this year- hunting is that tough.

I cannot kill my big boy this year, as we are limited to 1 buck per section of the property. Hope he makes it and gives me another whooping next January :)

Latest posts