Daylight?

Mr. Hawk

finally able to go hunt for first time this year tomorrow morning, what time do I need to be in stand if I want to be sitting down just before daybreak in middle TN

TonyB

653 am is sunrise time for tomorrow per my app. That means im up at 5 in the woods and up the tree by 6 or 615. I try to get in the tree early enough to check bow clearances, foam the sweat off from packing in and have at least 30 to 40 minutes of quiet before true sunrise. Its 5 for me to get a bite have a couple cups of coffee and take browns to the super bowl ;)

huvrman

I used to go in well before daylight. Usually made a bunch of noise bumping branches, etc. Now I go in when it is at least light enough to avoid branches and snags and not need a light. I've eased up on many a deer this way, and although it is too dark to tell what they are, I can slow my roll and wait until they leave before proceeding. On the flip side, I've bumped alot of deer fumbling around in the dark because of a noisy approach. Oh, and did I mention I blow all the leaves off the paths to my stands (over 1/2 mile worth) so unless they wind me, I can get in pretty quietly. But to answer your question, I usually get to my stand 15 minutes before legal shooting light.

Ski

I rarely go in before daylight anymore. I never do while bow hunting. It's coldest right before dawn, and bowhunters literally need to be over top of the deer, so how does that play for thermals? It saturates the ground and vegetation everywhere you walked and under your stand. Then when the sun crests the horizon and begins pushing a breeze, all that pooled up stink gets blown about.

You ever find yourself sitting statue still on stand, zero wind, can't hardly see yet, but have deer blowing at you from areas nowhere near your access trail? It's especially bad in hill country because the thermal downdraft flows down the drainages like water and converge in hollow bottom drain, the same path and time bucks take on their way from night feeding to day bedding.

Rifle season is different. I often set up for 100yd+ shots so I can mostly set up in non deer areas, shooting into deer areas. My stink doesn't matter because there aren't any deer to whiff it. Completely different set of circumstances with firearms and bows.

Lost Lake

I rarely go in before daylight anymore. I never do while bow hunting. It's coldest right before dawn, and bowhunters literally need to be over top of the deer, so how does that play for thermals? It saturates the ground and vegetation everywhere you walked and under your stand. Then when the sun crests the horizon and begins pushing a breeze, all that pooled up stink gets blown about.

You ever find yourself sitting statue still on stand, zero wind, can't hardly see yet, but have deer blowing at you from areas nowhere near your access trail? It's especially bad in hill country because the thermal downdraft flows down the drainages like water and converge in hollow bottom drain, the same path and time bucks take on their way from night feeding to day bedding.

Rifle season is different. I often set up for 100yd+ shots so I can mostly set up in non deer areas, shooting into deer areas. My stink doesn't matter because there aren't any deer to whiff it. Completely different set of circumstances with firearms and bows.
Same.

Anymore I try to ease into my areas as it's just breaking light enough to see. I occasionally get invited to hunt with a buddy who will go in and be situated an hour before light. His invite, so I play by his rules when I go.

But, I'd rather add that extra hour onto the end of my morning hunt with actual shooting light.

Boll Weevil

Fall back Nov5 so the deer will sleep in…wait…I need to get up an hour earlier…or later or…dangit. A year from now we ain't gotta worry'bout it.

Latest posts