Finally had one show up.

UT-longbeard

Haven't seen a buck all summer. Plenty of does with little ones. This guy decided to pass through. Hopefully he makes it another year.

Attachments

• 98243D0B-75BB-49EE-86E9-CE623DA94EAD.jpeg
    98243D0B-75BB-49EE-86E9-CE623DA94EAD.jpeg
    667.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 4A5E42CB-59D6-4776-9697-444824D5F0E3.jpeg
    4A5E42CB-59D6-4776-9697-444824D5F0E3.jpeg
    669.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 2AB5737B-8FA7-4E37-8DFE-C7D7C3334169.jpeg
    2AB5737B-8FA7-4E37-8DFE-C7D7C3334169.jpeg
    667.8 KB · Views: 234

JCDEERMAN

You'll have more soon, so don't get discouraged. Do you do any habitat improvements? Does dominate in the summer for fawning reasons and will take over the best habitat areas. I ask because we do a lot and I'll give you an example. We have 457 acres and only have ONE pic of a small basket rack 8 pt. On our friends that borders us (165 acres) - has had no habitat improvements, they have 5 shooter bucks at one salt lick. All in 3 different bachelor groups.

I've learned over the years that it seems the smaller the number of bucks we have during the summer, the more bucks we will have come fall. "Build it and they will come"

BSK

You'll have more soon, so don't get discouraged. Do you do any habitat improvements? Does dominate in the summer for fawning reasons and will take over the best habitat areas. I ask because we do a lot and I'll give you an example. We have 457 acres and only have ONE pic of a small basket rack 8 pt. On our friends that borders us (165 acres) - has had no habitat improvements, they have 5 shooter bucks at one salt lick. All in 3 different bachelor groups.

I've learned over the years that it seems the smaller the number of bucks we have during the summer, the more bucks we will have come fall. "Build it and they will come"
^^^^^
This

Last year, we had just 4 bucks using our property during the summer, only one of which was 3 1/2. But during the fall hunting season, we ended up with 50 unique bucks on camera, 12 of which were 3 1/2 or older.

JCDEERMAN

^^^^^
This

Last year, we had just 4 bucks using our property during the summer, only one of which was 3 1/2. But during the fall hunting season, we ended up with 50 unique bucks on camera, 12 of which were 3 1/2 or older.
Prior to about 2012, we would have anywhere between 12-15 3 1/2 or older bucks during the summer. There were a couple years of transition, and now we typically get just a couple (none so far this year). Come fall, wowsers. Last year, it seemed like I stumbled across older deer everywhere I went.

Another example: the buck I shot on our property last year had frequented the salt lick I mentioned earlier (on bordering property) all summer long. He disappeared early September and I shot him at the far end of our property over a mile away on November 13th.

BSK

Prior to about 2012, we would have anywhere between 12-15 3 1/2 or older bucks during the summer. There were a couple years of transition, and now we typically get just a couple (none so far this year). Come fall, wowsers. Last year, it seemed like I stumbled across older deer everywhere I went.
That is what we experienced. Before we started improving the habitat, we had the worst summer habitat around - big climax hardwood forest, surrounded by tens of thousands of acres of agricultural bottomland. Because we had the worst summer habitat, we had all of the bucks in the summer, but few does. Now that we've vastly improved our habitat, we primarily have does and their fawns in summer, with few bucks. But the bucks flood the property once the bottomland agriculture is harvested in September and October.

tree_ghost

^^^^^
This

Last year our conversations opened my eyes to this…it's amazing to see both the does and bucks becoming territorial over a particular area because the offerings of that environment are so unique to each sex depending on the time of year it is and their specific needs for survival at that time.

UT-longbeard

I have a .75 acre clover plot that grows well. I noticed the buck trend last year as well. No bucks during the summer but plenty of does. Once season came several were showing up. The property is roughly 100 acres, but is surrounded by larger tracts of land.

Latest posts