Finally a decent one

Acorn Goat

Been going through pics from over the years and seems bucks at my spot are slower developing this summer. Had pics of a couple bucks I know are the same from previous years and this same time last year had more horn on average

Attachments

• IMG_3682.png
    IMG_3682.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 147

Ski

Been going through pics from over the years and seems bucks at my spot are slower developing this summer. Had pics of a couple bucks I know are the same from previous years and this same time last year had more horn on average

I thought it was just me. Bucks seem to be way behind what they usually are. It's weird. Never seen this before.

East TN Bowhunter

I had a really wide and pretty tall one last year and this year he is running with the same smaller buck that he ran with last year, same or slightly bigger body size, same notch in his ear, has the same shaped rack, same number of points on each side but main beams are not as wide and tines are no where near as tall. I have trail cam pics of him starting at the end of July last year and he was bigger than this year. Does seem to be growing late. Never seen this before either unless its a very old buck on the decline or an injury causing the rack to not get as big but I don't think either of those are the issue here. Anybody else seeing this?

BSK

I had a really wide and pretty tall one last year and this year he is running with the same smaller buck that he ran with last year, same or slightly bigger body size, same notch in his ear, has the same shaped rack, same number of points on each side but main beams are not as wide and tines are no where near as tall. I have trail cam pics of him starting at the end of July last year and he was bigger than this year. Does seem to be growing late. Never seen this before either unless its a very old buck on the decline or an injury causing the rack to not get as big but I don't think either of those are the issue here. Anybody else seeing this?
Don't know the buck's age, but in Middle TN, it's not at all uncommon for bucks to produce their highest scoring rack at 4 1/2, and then decline. The tines and often beams get shorter (losing score), but the beams get thicker (noticeable increase in mass with each year older).

chart1300

My deer are incredibly behind this yr , a friend of mine and I were talking about that yesterday!! It's very strange. I have heard and read that when a deer has plenty to eat and not rut stressed he will hold his rack longer and start later and typically really grow the following season????
IMG_5577.png

BSK

I have heard and read that when a deer has plenty to eat and not rut stressed he will hold his rack longer and start later and typically really grow the following season???? View attachment 187448
Yes, when a buck is healthy and not rut-stressed, he will hold his rack longer. But that doesn't mean he will start later. The beginning of antlergenesis is genetic and linked to testosterone production in spring. Basically, an individual buck will start growing his antlers on about the same date every year, but each buck is an individual. Some have an earlier genetic date and some a later genetic date.

Ski

I have heard and read that when a deer has plenty to eat and not rut stressed he will hold his rack longer and start later and typically really grow the following season????

I have no idea but yeah, the bucks seem to be a little behind. Most of my TN bucks are still knobby. Only the oldest ones have well developed racks yet and even they are still blunted tips. My OH bucks seem to have well developed racks but they're a couple weeks behind what I normally see.

Great looking group of bucks you got there, btw!!!

BSK

I have no idea but yeah, the bucks seem to be a little behind. Most of my TN bucks are still knobby.
Most of the TN bucks I census across the state are "knobby" (still growing) until about August 10. Now each buck is an individual, and I'll find some that are finished growing and the velvet tips down to a fine point by August 1, and some still knobby into late August, but on average, I see antlers stop growing around August 10.

Ski

The beginning of antlergenesis is genetic and linked to testosterone production in spring. Basically, an individual buck will start growing his antlers on about the same date every year, but each buck is an individual. Some have an earlier genetic date and some a later genetic date.

Any ideas for growth timeline? For instance if they start same time every year but growth rate may vary year to year?

I've noticed mature bucks get their full rack grown earlier than younger bucks, so there must be some variance. I always attributed it to a mature buck being full grown so his body can focus more energy to rack growth than younger bucks could because the young ones are still growing bone structure. But this year growth seems unusually slow, especially in younger deer.

agelessssone

Notice the front left forelock on his leg....he got it broken as a yearling, surprised he didn't have a deformed rack.
Hopefully he'll make it to 4.5. (He's 3.5 this year).
I'd like to see him mature. I generally see him 3-4 times a year when I hunt.
I'm not into horns anymore but body size matters to me.
I pay $90 for processing, regardless of size, so I want the most meat for my buck!

Attachments

• 20230715_171905.jpg
    20230715_171905.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 35

BSK

Any ideas for growth timeline? For instance if they start same time every year but growth rate may vary year to year?
Yes, there is some variance between years and definitely between individual bucks. I've seen some research indicating the largest antlered bucks have more growing days.

I've noticed mature bucks get their full rack grown earlier than younger bucks, so there must be some variance. I always attributed it to a mature buck being full grown so his body can focus more energy to rack growth than younger bucks could because the young ones are still growing bone structure. But this year growth seems unusually slow, especially in younger deer.
This is correct.

BSK

Notice the front left forelock on his leg....he got it broken as a yearling, surprised he didn't have a deformed rack.
I think he does have a slightly deformed rack due to the leg injury. His left browtine is quite different than his right, and it looks like his left G3 is oddly shaped as well.

Latest posts