Finally got one

Bone Collector

It's been a tough season as far as killing turkeys. Seeing them, hearing them, and playing with them has been pretty good. Seen a bunch of jakes, but every time I go up against a Tom, I screw up, or he doesn't do what I think he will putting me in a bad position to shoot or just skirting me. We'll it all worked out this morning. Not much of a story. There were more than one group of birds gobbling on the roost. I went after one group, they only gobbled a couple of times on the ground and skirted me.went to the other place I heard birds and called. No response but about 2 minutes later I saw 3 hens about 125 yds in a field. Not knowing the area well I pulled up a map and saw there was a curve in the field that made somewhat of a cove for lack of a better term. They were heading that way so I skirted to get closer there was a lip that you had to look over and I did and they were within 20 yds. I think they saw me and started back the way I came. I kept going and found a set up spot below the cove I was describing in the woods. I wasn't sure any Toms were there. I called and got a gobble. It was pretty close so I got settled in. I knew they had to get over the lip to see me and it was thick along it. All the sudden there's a bird 20 yds to my right at 2 o'clock. He starts putting, but started walking in front of me where it was open. I then noticed two more. The second bird was bigger so I let the first pass and shot him.

Bird wasn't heavy. Maybe 18-19 lbs. here's the weird part…. 10.5" beard and no spurs. Just smooth spots where they should have grown but apparently never did. Pic was at the house when I got back.

Attachments

• CFB828D1-9099-4D29-A650-2D9DC389C131.jpeg
    CFB828D1-9099-4D29-A650-2D9DC389C131.jpeg
    615.8 KB · Views: 111

Latest posts