Filled 2nd buck tag, Buck questions, wind

backyardtndeer

Congratulations on your nice buck.

Have seen deer walk and also run with the wind many times. Really have no explanation for why, as doing so reduces their best sense of protection. May be that in those instances that they just have a place to be and that is what is on their mind.

As far as the second rut, it is over here. May be some of this year's doe fawns coming in to their first cycle, but most mature does have had their second cycle by now in this part of the state.

Last edited:

Ski

Thanks for that info, Ski. A couple more years learning and I might have a deer degree.

Ha! Don't count on it. It's a never ending lesson on humility because as soon as you think you know something, a buck will do something else to prove you wrong. I've learned there are no static rules, only tendencies. Loose tendencies at that.

timberjack86

Thanks! Any idea when you're going to be up and around and back to 100%?
If we weren't in opposite corners of the state I'd come and get you and drive you up to this blind so you could get a deer this season.
If the Dr would let me drive I'd meet you there!
I go back to the Dr on the 5th. I'm hoping they release me back to work then. Dr said it would be 90 days before I'm back to 100 percent.

Ski

Also don't fret the patience thing. If you're new then kill the bucks that make you happy and enjoy yourself. Every deer taken is an education. It's cliche to say but hunting mature bucks is almost like hunting a different species altogether. They move slow and deliberate, sniffing and analyzing everything before stepping into the open. They're almost always the last into a field and first to leave it. In the woods they rarely walk a trail in daylight unless they're looking for does. They get big and old by doing things differently than other deer. IMO they're not really difficult to hunt, just different. The hardest part is having one to hunt.

DeerCamp

Congrats on a stud!

In my experience bucks always approach their beds with wind in their face, then lay with wind at their back. The only other time I really see them noticeably letting wind dictate their travel is when they're cruising for does, and they'll swing downwind of bedding and food. Otherwise they go where they want regardless of wind.
Tend to agree with this. Wouldn't really make sense to let wind dictate travel too much.

Wind doesn't change where the bedding/does/food are.

Henry

I've heard that the young bucks will be pushed out of the area when rut starts. If this is true, do they come back after rut or do they stay out of the area for good after this?

Last edited:

trout

Buck fawns will be pushed out of the herd by the mama doe before the rut. These young bucks may travel great distances or linger near their home like a lost puppy. The 1-1/2 old bucks will be the first to start chasing the does before they are ready. The older bucks start checking the does mostly at night time. As the rut gets close, the mature bucks will be on the move checking does even in daytime.

agelessssone

I've seen numerous 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks, same ones on numerous occasions so they didn't get pushed out. Saw a few 3.5's on trail cams but they apparently were just passing through searching for does.
Only saw them on trail cams though.
Killed one who was pretty old, had gnarly antlers, very grey muzzle and hardly any teeth.
Not sure he would have survived the cold snap....but he will be remembered and appreciated every meal we have venison this coming year.

Henry

This buck somehow wrapped his ground side antler around a sapling, but the sapling isn't very easy to see in the pics. It was really strange to need to get him unstuck.

Last edited:

Latest posts