field i want to do something with

ttf909

i have about 5 acre field i want to do something with to attract and hold deer.
the deer are already here, i started strips that we dont cut.
maybe some cedar , chestnut ,persimmon . where to get quantity of these that will not break the bank and can these be planted this time of year?

it will get a foodplot on top this year also. one area grows weeds very fast probably from the septic field lines. suitable for a food plot here?
ton of questions. thanks

Boll Weevil

Might think about investing a year to get it ready. Seems Iike a long wait but it's not really and could be well worth it. Starting in the spring disk, spray, repeat. Get rid of as much weed seedbank as you can and incorporate vegetation matter to build your soils organic base. Add your lime amendments and plant. It's worth the early effort in the long term.

treefarmer

The Tennessee Division of Forestry offers Tennessee grown bare root seedlings at a good price in quantities of 100 or more. Delivery is free to your county. I carry mine in a 5 gallon bucket of water and use a shovel or planting bar. Just cut a slot in the dirt, put seedling in so the roots aren't J shaped and close the slot. I space mine at 20' x 20'. Seedlings can be found at: http://www.tn.gov/agriculture/publicati ... atalog.pdf . They have Southern Crabapple, Persimmon, hybrid chestnut, oaks, pines and many others. Mark them well with orange flagging because after a year the brush may have overtopped them and they need protection until they outgrow the brush. Order asap because they do run out.

bbuck14

Saw Tooth Oaks is also a good choice that's fast growing and starts producing buckets of acorns in as little as 7 yrs. Deer and Turkey's love them.

Swampster

If working with only 5 ac, I might suggest NWSG over all of it and clump your soft and hard mast within this. Maybe in the middle clump a few cedar / pine.

Latest posts