Fewer turkeys every year

jman 125

People already know Dickson is loaded, if you drive any of the roads there and are not blind you can tell. I drive them every day and see tons , im sorry if that bothers you but the truth is the truth
Not trying to fuss just stating a fact. I have seen it first hand 43 years in dickson and i can certainly tell you the numbers are down and the number of accessible farms are even lower. If you dont mind your place being leased then so be it but i speak for a whole lot of turkey hunters when i say its best to not say anything about where numbers are so called great. I have said all im going to. Have a great season and i sincerely hope its not the last on your farms. Again just my opinion

gobbler32

Not trying to fuss just stating a fact. I have seen it first hand 43 years in dickson and i can certainly tell you the numbers are down and the number of accessible farms are even lower. If you dont mind your place being leased then so be it but i speak for a whole lot of turkey hunters when i say its best to not say anything about where numbers are so called great. I have said all im going to. Have a great season and i sincerely hope its not the last on your farms. Again just my opinion
I understand completely, what few places I can hunt there are not big in size, one is roughly 120ac, the others are 30-50ac. Ive wanted to lease spots but there are none available like you said. I surprisingly just asked permission and got to hunt the spots. Trust me , the area i travel every day is and has been consistently holding birds for at least 10yrs.

gobbler32

I understand completely, what few places I can hunt there are not big in size, one is roughly 120ac, the others are 30-50ac. Ive wanted to lease spots but there are none available like you said. I surprisingly just asked permission and got to hunt the spots. Trust me , the area i travel every day is and has been consistently holding birds for at least 10yrs.
Also, the property owners refuse to lease so I don't have to worry about that. Others gaining permission is the only issue

Duck dogn

I live in maury county and the place that my daughter and I today usually has at least 4 gobblers and probably 60 hens/ Jake's, today same two huge fields had 1 Tom and 4 hens. My buddies son usually kills juvy weekend every year they have 200 plus acre farm they didn't see but just a couple hens all weekend.

catman529

From personal observations, Hickman co is spotty, as is Williamson co where I live. Both counties have a ton of birds, but they're not on every ridge or creek bottom in the county, they're in pockets. Whether a decline from years past is normal or not, I don't know.

The local flock in my backyard has just about disappeared in the past 5 years, but I can drive right down the road and see plenty of birds that have been doing just fine. Multiple theories as to why, but no solid explanation.

Statewide regulations can only do so much to help a local flocks decline when we are already limited to bearded birds only and most of the breeding happens before season opens. A local problem is not a statewide problem. Especially when we really have no idea what caused the decline(s).

You could say it's predators, chicken houses, hay cutting, heavy hunting pressure, etc etc. But I guarantee someone can always name another location that has one or more of those factors, where turkeys are still hatching out and raising healthy poult numbers every year and are doing just fine. I know I can.

We don't have a straight answer to local declines yet. If we did, they wouldn't be conducting studies all over the eastern US on wild turkeys. Hopefully we will find some answers in the future. I think TFT has the right mindset and I fully support their efforts.

timberjack86

I hear 5-10-15 of them bastages howling every night in our neck of the woods.
One yote strolled thru the yard Thursday with my wife in kids sitting in the swing. She couldn't believe it. She went inside grabbed my shotgun but of course he didn't come back. He's a brave sob to walk thru my place during the day lol

GreeneGriz

2D9EEC2B-C4BC-4F16-BA03-746FF9F7465F.jpeg

Speedwell-Hunter

I mainly hunt Hickman County but do stray into Dickson co some too. I was fortunate for many years to have some excellent ground to hunt that was full of birds. I can attest the last 3-5 yrs in Hickman County have shown a complete flip flop of hearing and seeing birds. I do have 2 places that have a few turkeys but not even close to what it once was and I am pretty much the only one hunting turkey at both places. One farm I've hunted for over 20yr used to be loaded and could hear 10 to 15 birds in a morning ,now you're lucky to hear one. Dickson co is absolutely loaded with turkeys though.
What is the reason for this? Thank you

paboom

People have been whining about populations for a good 10 years now. I was one of them. Twra could cut the season to 2 weeks and 1 bird and people would be up in arms. I don't pretend to know the reason why or how to fix it and I honestly doubt anyone will ever figure out. Even the so called guru chamberlain. But I do know one thing, it's happened across a fairly large portion of the country.

You can't change a farmers mind on how to use his land and guys don't have time to trap or predator hunt on a scale that would matter in this busy world. You can't improve habitat on national forest thanks to the tree huggers. Short of limiting the amount of hunters, seasons and bag limits there's not a dang thing anyone can do and then everyone would whine about opportunities. I would like to see decoys/fanning banned for one year just to see the impact. That being said, TN kills 30k+ birds every year so there must be quite a few somewhere. Some of us have been spoiled experiencing the apex of turkey numbers. Hearing 10+ was awesome but it'll never be that way again. No point in whining about it.
I hate that I feel the same way, but this is where my head has been for the last few years.

I keep hoping we'll find a solution, but I'm afraid we just live in a different world now.

DeerOps

I mainly hunt Hickman County but do stray into Dickson co some too. I was fortunate for many years to have some excellent ground to hunt that was full of birds. I can attest the last 3-5 yrs in Hickman County have shown a complete flip flop of hearing and seeing birds. I do have 2 places that have a few turkeys but not even close to what it once was and I am pretty much the only one hunting turkey at both places. One farm I've hunted for over 20yr used to be loaded and could hear 10 to 15 birds in a morning ,now you're lucky to hear one. Dickson co is absolutely loaded with turkeys though.
What crops are currently being planted on the farm that has lost its flock? Has there been a loss of habitat?

megalomaniac

zero biological reason why this cannot be the norm everywhere in TN that has suitable habitat. So how do we get back to this point in the multitude of areas that have gone from this to nothing? (birds in that pic would be about a third of what I used to have back in the late 90s... you didn't bat an eye at a winter flock of 100, it took getting over 250 or so to get excited)

I've said it before here, my personal record was working 29 different longbeards in a single day. I think I called 8 or 9 into gun range that day (wasn't carrying a gun, was just enjoying turkey hunting and trying to find the birds with 1.5in spurs). I don't think there was more than a 30min span that I wasn't on a bird the entire day.

Willysman

Same on the farm where I hunt. At one time plenty of turkeys. Been going down each year. Nothing has changed that would cause them to move away. I agree season is too long. Month of April is enough. I also hunt the South Cherokee. When I started turkey hunting there in 1977 it was only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Now it is open every day for 6 weeks and gets hammered each day. Turkey population is down considerably.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
My listening spots encompass thousands of acres. There's ten miles of backroads from my house that I drive several times a week where I can observe fields (zero row crop) that turkeys frequent…well used to frequent. The farms I hunt are spread out, but

Used to see those kids of flocks on the farms I hunt in Hickman county. Not any more though.

Latest posts