Felony and hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Food Plot 101

A coworker friend of mine has been talking to me lately about wanting to hunt, said he used to go small game hunting when he was a kid years ago. He's about 25 and was talking about us going sometime. Somehow, the topic of Hunter Safety Course came up and I talked about him doing the Apprentice until he can take his course. Well, we are pretty good friends, and I can tell by his tats he's been through a bit growing up in E. Nashville, but he seems to have turned his life around and is a great guy. Well, the topic of his record came up. He has a felony for poss. w/ intent for Sch. II from 8 years ago. Looks like he must have gotten very little time for that but think he violate probation within a period. Here's my question: is it even possible for him to hunt w/ a firearm? Thanks

scn

There is not a TWRA regulation that addresses his felony status. He needs to check with his local DA to see if he can possess a ML. He is banned from all other firearms by federal law.

BMan

FP, please post what you find out from the DA. I'm sure there are others out there in the same situation; would be nice to know the answer.

scn

BMan said:
FP, please post what you find out from the DA. I'm sure there are others out there in the same situation; would be nice to know the answer.

Unfortunately, it won't be an answer that applies to every felon. Felons in TN convicted of certain classes of felonies can have a firearm, while other felonies ban them from all firearms. Since they are banned under federal law from handguns, rifles, and shotguns, that only leaves muzzleloaders.

Since there are significant potiential penalties on this for a felon, it needs to be done on a case by case basis so they don't do something that they think is legal only to find out it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.