Feeding what I’ve got…

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I'm not going full blown @Uncle J clearance sale here, but I'm going to try to do something this year that just hasn't happened in a while. I'm going to try my best to not get a new gun this year and focus on feeding what I have. I used to trade and sell and get at least 1-2 new guns to play with per year. But I don't have the time to tinker with reloading and shooting nearly as much as I used to, so I have to quit tinkering with things and just stock up on components for existing guns and loads.

May sound boring to some, but my resolution for this year is to NOT get a new gun this year. We'll see if I can keep it, but I just ordered some ammo for my 30-30 recently, and got in a few components recently for my 760 30-06 that I caught on sale. Also backordered some brass from Starline that I've been waiting on to come available. But more than anything I'm paying for some home projects and saving for the kids' college fund. I need time AND money right now, especially if I'm going to go out of state to DIY hunt a little this year.

Any fellow gun hoarders out there that have tried this and succeeded? I can tell you for sure that the tinker gene never goes away, so I hope that things don't go too crazy over the next few years so that I can still get guns and components after I get the kids through school.

nso123

I'm not going full blown @Uncle J clearance sale here, but I'm going to try to do something this year that just hasn't happened in a while. I'm going to try my best to not get a new gun this year and focus on feeding what I have. I used to trade and sell and get at least 1-2 new guns to play with per year. But I don't have the time to tinker with reloading and shooting nearly as much as I used to, so I have to quit tinkering with things and just stock up on components for existing guns and loads.

May sound boring to some, but my resolution for this year is to NOT get a new gun this year. We'll see if I can keep it, but I just ordered some ammo for my 30-30 recently, and got in a few components recently for my 760 30-06 that I caught on sale. Also backordered some brass from Starline that I've been waiting on to come available. But more than anything I'm paying for some home projects and saving for the kids' college fund. I need time AND money right now, especially if I'm going to go out of state to DIY hunt a little this year.

Any fellow gun hoarders out there that have tried this and succeeded? I can tell you for sure that the tinker gene never goes away, so I hope that things don't go too crazy over the next few years so that I can still get guns and components after I get the kids through school.
I'm going to say a prayer for your healing because something bad must be wrong with you.

Uncle J

I think it is a solid plan! I'm clearing out of some stuff and have never felt better about it. At some point I reflect back on my youth as well as my ancestors and crave the simple life and mind set that comes with it. Good luck @EastTNHunter but will likely try my best into talking you into buying something at some point this year I'm sure! You work hard! And buckle up - you will likely see more deals than ever!

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I think it is a solid plan! I'm clearing out of some stuff and have never felt better about it. At some point I reflect back on my youth as well as my ancestors and crave the simple life and mind set that comes with it. Good luck @EastTNHunter but will likely try my best into talking you into buying something at some point this year I'm sure! You work hard! And buckle up - you will likely see more deals than ever!
Do I anticipate another "double dog dare"?

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Honestly the older I get stuff is just stuff.
I'm with you. That's why I am really looking forward to another trip with the dude out west (hopefully) for an antelope hunt. Not to mention actually being able to take the kids fishing this spring instead of working on the house or tinkering on a load/rifle setup.

Stuff is no fun if you can't use it, are too obsessed with it to enjoy it, or can't use it with those that you love. It's easy to get out of balance on those things, especially for a DIYer like myself

nso123

I'll go ahead and do it. I triple dog dare you.
IMG_1371.jpeg

DaveTN

I only use 8 calibers and I've never had any desire for designer calibers. I've had more guns than I can count, and I have pretty much everything I want right now. I'm old and it's time to start getting rid of some.

Tenntrapper

I've been working on this myself... getting rid of a bunch of things. I think my reasoning may be different, but getting rid of stuff is the end goal. I don't want my wife to be burdened with it after I'm gone. Best for me to take care of it now. I'm down to one deer rifle that I would never sell, couple 22s, and a couple shotguns. As for hunting...got all my bases covered.
I gave away 90 percent of my knives, but I'm still good.
Now for some of this other...."stuff"!!

jlanecr500

Been working on properties , moving, etc the last couple years. Of course, I made some time for hunting. Haven't gotten to shoot much at all but think about it a lot. Sadly, I've gone in the opposite direction of this thread, even though I know better. Hopefully i can do some load development this year.

Moving from my home of 50 years has been an eye opener. Over the years, I've partaken in several hobbies and acquired a lot of stuff that I had to pack up and store.

I'll try to post one for sale this week.

Lost Lake

Yeah, it gets crazy sometimes. Buying so many rifles, and in some cases, duplicates of those rifles, makes me question my sanity. I'm to the point that I'd rather put honest wear on a few than have many that sit in the safe. I look back and realize I could have done it all with one or two. But I do enjoy them all regardless.

Keeping components in supply might be a bigger challenge for me than finding a rare rifle that I'd like.

Latest posts