Favorite Muzzleloader Bullet for Whitetails?

Big J

I have got 300 gr sst for this year out of mine and Boos gun. Devin will be shooting the Shockwave out of the 45. I blistered that 8 pointer last year with it and he never took another step! Entered the lower neck and out the opposite side behind the shoulder. I mean it hammered him!

ewc

square said:
Hornady sst's and shockwaves are very accurate....they just don't expand.

They expand too much. You're just not pushing hard enough.

Accurate as hell in my .40, but no shoulder shots with these 2.

A .40 195 gr Barnes at 2,900 impact velocity is awesome on a deer; from rear to front - only shot I had :)

Recovered the bullet at the base of the neck - perfect mushroom.

fastbs

the old xtp for me. 250 grain for 100 grain powder loads in shorter barrels and 300 grain for a 150 grain powder load in my remington genesis is an awesome combo

WTM

ewc said:
square said:
Hornady sst's and shockwaves are very accurate....they just don't expand.

They expand too much. You're just not pushing hard enough.

Accurate as hell in my .40, but no shoulder shots with these 2.

A .40 195 gr Barnes at 2,900 impact velocity is awesome on a deer; from rear to front - only shot I had :)

Recovered the bullet at the base of the neck - perfect mushroom.
that about sums up my first post on this thread about the two, but i will say the blue tipped bonded shockwave is a vast improvement. with the bonded bullet, i have shot into shoulders, lung shots, and shots a little further back and have never have a deer run over 20 yards. sometimes they act like a partition and sometimes they mushroom nicely, all depending on impact angle. the muzzle velocity is about 1850 fps.

Stalker

Remington Genesis = 300gr Hornady SST w/ 105gr 777 loose
H&R Huntsman = 350gr Hornady FPB w/ 90gr 777 loose

Kimberman

250 gr Barnes TMZ. Acuurate and I have never seen one not exit. Also never shot anything with it that went more than about 20 yards after the shot!

UTGrad

Kimberman said:
250 gr Barnes TMZ. Acuurate and I have never seen one not exit. Also never shot anything with it that went more than about 20 yards after the shot!

The TMZ is the boattail with the ballistic tip right? I bought some Knight PBT 250 grain which is the same bullet.

How tough is it to load and how much powder do you use with the Barnes?

Latest posts