2.5 lb backstrap trimmed
10 juniper berries
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
sea salt and pepper
olive oil
bulb of garlic
glass of good red wine
pat of butter

heat oven to 350. chop rosemary, smash juniper, salt and pepper on cutting board, spread over board. lightly oil backstrap with olive oil, then roll the loin in the spices. really press the spices into the meat. heat an ovenproof pan on med-high to high heat with a glob of olive oil, sear meat couple minutes on both sides. take off heat and add smashed bulb of garlic and splash of water and throw in oven. cook until what you like. 8-10 minutes=medium.

after it gets done take out of oven. take out loin and place on plate loosely covered with foil. put pan back on heat and add the wine to deglace the pan, scraping the bottom of the pan. reduce sauce to half and add a tblspoon of butter. carve loin and pour the sauce over it.

serve with some good potatoes and such, potatoes au gratin or cream sauce potatoes go good.

WTM

BIG D said:
Man, sounds good. Any substitute for juniper berries? Don't know if Kroger has them? Does it have to be red wine?

i have a juniper tree in my yard, it looks like a twisted cedar tree with white-bluish color berries. if you cant find them you can sub with course cracked black pepper corns. just use a mallet to smash the pepper corns. maybe add a bay leaf.

dont have to be red wine, you could pick up a bottle of cooking wine at the store or you could use beef broth to deglace the pan.

bullshooter

Got a good one for you. My 5 yr old calls it "Hawaiian Deer." Here's what you need:
1 backstrap, 1 pack of bacon
1 can of pineapples(sliced or cubed), brown sugar
bbq sauce, 12 oz dark cola
toothpicks

Slice the meat like you where gonna fry it.
Marinate it in the cola for at least 30 min.
Remove from cola and coat both sides in brown sugar.
Cut the pack of bacon in half and wrap a piece around the deer meat.
Put a piece of pineapple on top and put a toohthpick through all of it.
Put in a 9x13 baking pan and drizzle with bbq sauce.
Cover with alum. foil and bake at 250 for 2 hrs. or until done.
Then remove foil and broil on high for a few minutes to make bacon crispy.
Everyone that has tried this loves it. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

WTM

BIG D said:
Thanks bullshooter. That ones next

WTM... Did you mean pre heat pan(casserole dish) on stove? I would think in the oven?

yes, you high sear both sides good and brown on the stove top, then just transfer the pan to the oven and finish cooking. i normally use a large stainless steel saute or frying pan that is oven safe.

if you dont have an oven safe pan you could brown the loin on the stove, then transfer to a preheated baking dish.

Pam

All of the recipes sound great & I plan on trying them! :)

I preheat oven to 350, put strap in cast iron skillet, rub with plenty of olive oil, season both sides with your favorites and top with 2 strips of bacon, cook around 20mins, let set before slicing.

BIG D

WTM, I appreciate the recipe. Only slight adjustments I made were adding a few sprigs of cilantro and then refered to your peppered backstrap recipe and bought the heavy cream and made the cream sauce substituting 1/2 c of Jim Beam for the wine for deglazing. Crushed Peppercorns versus junipers. Had 3 straps big around as an orange about 9-10 inches long.
DudE!!! Talk about eating til you bust! Took 2 baking potatos and sliced. Fried em' up crunchy in some extra virgin olive oil with onions and portabello mushrooms with potato bread rolls. Simply awesome!! 4 of us at home now. Had 2 meals out of it YUM YUM!!! Thanks again. Bullshooter.. yours is next. Sounds good.

WTM

BIG D said:
WTM, I appreciate the recipe. Only slight adjustments I made were adding a few sprigs of cilantro and then refered to your peppered backstrap recipe and bought the heavy cream and made the cream sauce substituting 1/2 c of Jim Beam for the wine for deglazing. Crushed Peppercorns versus junipers. Had 3 straps big around as an orange about 9-10 inches long.
DudE!!! Talk about eating til you bust! Took 2 baking potatos and sliced. Fried em' up crunchy in some extra virgin olive oil with onions and portabello mushrooms with potato bread rolls. Simply awesome!! 4 of us at home now. Had 2 meals out of it YUM YUM!!! Thanks again. Bullshooter.. yours is next. Sounds good.

cilantro, good call. that creme sauce is delicious. the potatoes, onion, and shrooms sound good, will have to try that next time.

deeraddict

bullshooter said:
Got a good one for you. My 5 yr old calls it "Hawaiian Deer." Here's what you need:
1 backstrap, 1 pack of bacon
1 can of pineapples(sliced or cubed), brown sugar
bbq sauce, 12 oz dark cola
toothpicks

Slice the meat like you where gonna fry it.
Marinate it in the cola for at least 30 min.
Remove from cola and coat both sides in brown sugar.
Cut the pack of bacon in half and wrap a piece around the deer meat.
Put a piece of pineapple on top and put a toohthpick through all of it.
Put in a 9x13 baking pan and drizzle with bbq sauce.
Cover with alum. foil and bake at 250 for 2 hrs. or until done.
Then remove foil and broil on high for a few minutes to make bacon crispy.
Everyone that has tried this loves it. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
bullshooter,
tried this monday night and man was it good. Thanks for the recipe, wife and boys loved it.

Latest posts