Fanning is now illegal in NJ

TheLBLman

Setterman":tzi0uedk said:
I guess the point is and you help make it, is that turkey hunting is already risky why make it riskier?
I think this is a very legitimate "point".

At present, I'm pretty much "neutral" on how people choose to hunt turkeys, and will avoid criticizing anyone using any legal means.

In some respects, turkey hunting has already become more dangerous than it was just a few years ago. How so? Many turkey hunters are using tighter chokes and opting for longer range shots than in times past. The extra average shooting distance alone reduces background vision within the danger zone. Then add in the HTL loads which can be lethal perhaps 50% farther than regular lead shot.

I'm certainly not ready to outlaw particular loads, but we should be aware that today's turkey shotguns have a greater lethal range not just on turkeys, but on unseen humans as well. And speaking of going "unseen", we also now have more effective camouflage patterns than the gray wool shirts and WWII camo of yesteryear. Besides, as relatively dangerous as turkey hunting may be, a full day of turkey hunting is likely still safer than a 1-way drive thru Nashville.

Woodsman10

You must be careful fanning our not. Be vigilante and watch for others.

I also wonder why people think if they are on private land there are no other hunters? And if your in the middle of a field, whose to say that someone doesn't shoot you with a 270?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

catman529

Setterman":1dscamkk said:
catman529":1dscamkk said:
Wrangler95":1dscamkk said:
I would worry about my safety more than killing a turkey.Someone will sooner or later get shot doing this :p
people have already been shot just for sitting in the bushes making turkey sounds. If you're in a wide open private field where it would be hard for someone to sneak in range of you, I don't think fanning any more dangerous than simply working a bird on most public land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every year there are turkeys shot with rifles and other poaching tools. Someone with a rifle sniping a field he's been watching could easily take out a fanner.

I guess the point is and you help make it, is that turkey hunting is already risky why make it riskier?
if someone's been watching a turkey in a field with a scoped rifle, something's not gonna look right when a guy crawls out behind a tail fan. I think the risk of getting shot behind a fan has more to do with an excited hunter at close range seeing a tail fan pop up through the grass. Which is why I would never try it on public land.

PalsPal

In reading through their regs to see just how it is worded, I found that it is also illegal to stalk a turkey in NJ.

There goes the practice of seeing a gobbler in a field and either putting a crawl on him, or just using the woods edge to try to determine his direction of travel and cutting him off to get close enough for a shot.

In addition, I found it interesting that a hunter MUST possess at least one turkey caller while hunting. But, at least, it doesn't require them to actually use it :D !

TreyB

REN":1z1zcbez said:
Im just proud I got to start the first "ruffled feathers thread" of 2017 season! Suck it boys hahahah
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

That should be the new name of this forum.

catman529

REN":31ugzx5o said:
Im just proud I got to start the first "ruffled feathers thread" of 2017 season! Suck it boys hahahah
I was gonna say you sure did post one to stir the pot. :lol:

catman529

PalsPal":1gznhinj said:
In reading through their regs to see just how it is worded, I found that it is also illegal to stalk a turkey in NJ.

There goes the practice of seeing a gobbler in a field and either putting a crawl on him, or just using the woods edge to try to determine his direction of travel and cutting him off to get close enough for a shot.

In addition, I found it interesting that a hunter MUST possess at least one turkey caller while hunting. But, at least, it doesn't require them to actually use it :D !
PA is the same way about calling not stalking. Dumb idea for a regulation.

Mike Belt

I think if I was trying to fan a bird my goal would be to catch it by the legs as opposed to shooting it although I don't suspect you could hold on very long, lol. It'd make a great video though.

catman529

Mike Belt":1s4igga5 said:
I think if I was trying to fan a bird my goal would be to catch it by the legs as opposed to shooting it although I don't suspect you could hold on very long, lol. It'd make a great video though.
it would make a great video and some bloody hands!

Doskil

Virginia allows rifles during the spring season.

Its interesting to see hunters complain about whats not or is legal in other states.

callemquacktn

I hope it is outlawed here. My reason is 2 part.
1st As a hunter safety instructor I feel the need to ban it is more important for the younger Hunter than any other age group. With their lack of experience and not necessarily the best judgment skills, I feel they will be the ones that either cause the first death, or are the first death.
2nd as a Paramedic, no matter how many dead bodies you deal with, they never leave ya. Especially kids that are gun shot victims.

Latest posts