Food Plots Fall plot

easy45

What would be a good thing to put in around late August , early September, I have a small bag of biologic with wheat, oats, and brassicas but its not enough to plant the entire plot

spoon

Scott, most premixed bags will only do about 1/4 acre and are expensive for what you get. You will come out cheaper buying 50lb bags of wheat and bob oaks. I would stay away from brassicas as I've never had any luck with deer eating them from Fayette co. To Chester co.

I know you are on a tight budget, but you will need to buy fertilizer and yes, it's expensive. Some of the best prices I've found is Farm Store in Somerville...don't buy anything for the Co-op in Somerville, they are expensive

Football Hunter

easy45 said:
What would be a good thing to put in around late August , early September, I have a small bag of biologic with wheat, oats, and brassicas but its not enough to plant the entire plot
Bet its mostly wheat and oats if you read the bag.

tn droptine

Scott,

What I had planted a couple of years ago in the fall ended up coming out great and is still going strong. We mixed imperial clover (or on a budget you can use crimson and/or ladino clover) with wheat, some oats, and Australian winter peas. The wheat came on strong that fall and helped with weed control. The following year the wheat died off leaving a nice carpet of clover. Now all I do is mow it down a couple of times a year and frost seed new clover in late winter/early spring.

Once I'm home for good I have my own tractor, disk, and two row planter and I would be happy to help out with any projects you may have in Chester Co

easy45

tn droptine said:
Scott,

What I had planted a couple of years ago in the fall ended up coming out great and is still going strong. We mixed imperial clover (or on a budget you can use crimson and/or ladino clover) with wheat, some oats, and Australian winter peas. The wheat came on strong that fall and helped with weed control. The following year the wheat died off leaving a nice carpet of clover. Now all I do is mow it down a couple of times a year and frost seed new clover in late winter/early spring.

Once I'm home for good I have my own tractor, disk, and two row planter and I would be happy to help out with any projects you may have in Chester Co

I really appreciate that, I have a lease in hardeman now, I wouldn't want you to have to haul your stuff too far.

Latest posts