Everyone’s favorite trail camera

Spurhunter

I have owned dozens and dozens of cameras from Bushnell, Covert, Primos, Moultrie, Spylink, Wildgame, Recon, and maybe more I'm forgetting. The best cameras I've ever owned, and it's not even close, were made by Covert. As a matter of fact I'm sick of spotty performance from my Moultrie and Spypoint cell cams and considering stepping up to Covert there as well.

JCDEERMAN

Reconyx are the best cameras out there. I have 3 and combined years I've been running those 3 cameras add up to 34 years (9-14 years each camera). Sent them each back one time for a repair, paid $40-55 and they sent back fixed.

As far as cheaper cameras, the Brownings have treated us very well. I've heard very good things about Covert. I would go with one of those two for the cheaper option

BSK

So much depends on what you're using trail-cameras for. If you just want to know if certain size bucks are working through a given area and when, just about any camera will do, even the cheap ones. And if you hunt in somewhat flat terrain, cell cameras work fairly well. However, if you're hunting in very hilly terrain, or trying to monitor big open spaces like fields or food plots, or monitoring scrapes close up, or running a photo census, then all sorts of considerations come into play, such as lack of cell signal in valleys, flash distance, visibility of flash, image quality, etc.

Lincoln Co Archer

So much depends on what you're using trail-cameras for. If you just want to know if certain size bucks are working through a given area and when, just about any camera will do, even the cheap ones. And if you hunt in somewhat flat terrain, cell cameras work fairly well. However, if you're hunting in very hilly terrain, or trying to monitor big open spaces like fields or food plots, or monitoring scrapes close up, or running a photo census, then all sorts of considerations come into play, such as lack of cell signal in valleys, flash distance, visibility of flash, image quality, etc.
Wow! Can I believe me eyes! Good to see you posting man.

Mr.Bro

All my Coverts and Brownings were built from 2017 and newer. All are black flash. Coverts are MP8s. Brownings are Dark Opt models. All continue to work as expected. Never needed customer service on either brand. All were under $100.

Southern Sportsman

Not to derail the thread, but this just made my day. I've never met you but there have been so many times over the past few years I've thought "I really wish we hadn't run off BSK. I'd love to hear his input on this." Hope you stick around.

As to the question at hand, I haven't used as many as some, but I've used most of the common brands at one point or another. Minus reconyx - too pricey for what I'm wanting. Covert is my favorite and it's not close. They're not flashy but they do absolutely everything I need. Most all of the cameras are made in China and they are pretty complex devices in the $100 price range so you can always find a bad review. But Coverts come with a 2 year warranty and have customer service based in Kentucky. I have a Browning and I broke the latch on it once and needed a new part. I was blown away by how good the customer service was. Got a new part in a few days with no fuss and no charge. Not even shipping. I don't have anything bad to say about the Browning camera. But side by side in that price range, I'll take the covert every time.

I got three new coverts this year. MP16 Black. It is the exact same camera as the predecessor MP8 Black, but you can now select 8, 12 or 16 mp resolution. I don't know why Coverts aren't as easy to find in stores but I typically just get them through ebay and can find them for under $100.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Every Covert camera I have had isn't worth a dime after a year. Put them out for a couple months and take them down. Go to use them again and nothing.... i can't even get one stolen

BSK

Considering what I use trail cameras for, mostly photo census work, I've fallen in love with the new Browning trail cameras I just picked up this year (their dual lens black flash versions). Amazing day and night video. Jaw-dropping daytime picture quality, and great trigger (distance and speed). Their one weakness is less than stellar nighttime still images at distance. Although few black flash cameras take great pictures at night beyond 40 or 50 feet.

Last edited:

Latest posts