Evening hunts

Thegreatwhitehunter1776

During the week I have college work to do so I have to call it a day by 8:00 am and get my work done. I'm usually done by about 5:00 everday and just roost them in the last half hour of the day. Is it worth going out that late and trying to strike a bird or should I just roost them and hit them in the morning

Sent from my SM-J737VPP using Tapatalk

woodsman04

Thegreatwhitehunter1776":7tcyju71 said:
During the week I have college work to do so I have to call it a day by 8:00 am and get my work done. I'm usually done by about 5:00 everday and just roost them in the last half hour of the day. Is it worth going out that late and trying to strike a bird or should I just roost them and hit them in the morning

Sent from my SM-J737VPP using Tapatalk
In my experience it gets tough that late, but you really never know until you try. That's probably 2 to 2-1/2 hours before fly up. You could find one wanting to play in that time frame.

In afternoons, you typically do not want to call a lot or loudly, because it isn't natural. Turkeys aren't very vocal in the afternoons. Especially late afternoons.

When I afternoon hunt I'm extremely slow and conservative, and more or less just listening/scouting/or maybe roosting birds for the morning. Just at all cost don't spook them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PalsPal

If you have nothing else to do, it's worth a try.

I have killed a couple late evening, although it has been few and far between. One gobbled once, the other every breath all the way to the gun barrel after I ramped it up because I needed to leave for my daughters game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

woodsman04

If you find one gobbling on his own in the evening and you don't spook him good chance you call him up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remington700

In my experience if you are hunting in the evening like that. You need to get between the day hang out and the roost. It will be more like deer hunting and just catch them coming through an area. Like has been said call little and light.

megalomaniac

I don't hunt birds after 5pm, but that my personal choice. I enjoy listening to roost gobbling, so I'd rather roost a bird for the next morn than actually kill him the eve before.

Been a tough year for me.... 20 days in the woods, and only 1 gobbling on the roost for me so far.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk