ESPN's bias towards the SEC

BamaProud

Most Football revenue comes from TV viewership. It would make the most financial sense if ESPN were artificially propping teams in the major markets like LA, New York, Chicago and Atlanta, not Oxford and Starkville, MS and Tuscaloosa and Auburn Alabama. A football playoff consisting of a bunch of SEC teams wouldn't generate nearly the viewership it would with National competitors.

darn2ten

Written by a obviously biased PAC 12 fan from California. That article went in circles and some of his arguments don't even make sense.

Hangnail

Well, let's see. The title winner for seven of the last eight years is from one conference. By far, the most NFL draftees are from that conference during that time period. Based upon those two things alone, I can't imagine why a sports based cable channel would hook its waggon to the SEC. That's a head scratcher.

TeamMainStreet

ESPN airs games from all top 5 power conferences, and other as well sometimes. SEC games are more exciting, SEC has more competitive teams and players and is an all around more exciting conference. It's not that they aren't talking about the other because they are. It's that there is MORE to talk about with the SEC. It's not ESPNs fault for that.

Vermin93

Yes, of course they are biased now that they have such a large business deal together. Money talks.

Everyone not affiliated with Notre Dame hated it when Notre Dame did their TV deal with NBC many years ago. Same principles apply here, except ESPN obviously has much more influence than NBC sports in present day college football.

Everyone not affiliated with the SEC should hate the ESPN / SEC relationship. I certainly do.

NoSEC_zps9e18344e.jpg

TeamMainStreet

Hate to tell you but evidently they have a business deal with the PAC-12 and the Texas Longhorns which are Big12 so I guess they are biased towards them as well.

I will say this as plainly as I can. Every TN fan you ask says that ESPN hates UT. They very well may hate UT but the biggest reason people get that idea is because UT hasn't done anything in the last 10 years to give any attention from UT. Why would they want to cover us? Well except for the Lane Kiffin soap opera.

Itts the same thing with Notre Dame and their BiG One conference. Until they do something worthy of talking about LIKE BEATING FSU, they wont report anything on them.

Hangnail

Just watched the playoff show on ESPN. Did I say ESPN? The committee has three of the top four from the SEC. Did I say SEC? There's gonna be some chapped nether regions all across the country and I think it's absolute internet gold. They won't even consider that there is still a ton of football to play and the final decisions won't look anything like this initial ranking. Did anyone even see ND on there? :0

Hangnail

The rankings will change much, much more for the SEC teams than any other conference based upon the remaining schedules for ranked teams. It's going to be some good football.

darn2ten

The problem is..... Who have they played? All these people screaming are not taking into account strength of schedule. Just like in 2012 when when ND came in 12-0 in the NC game and gets flat out trucked 42-14 by Alabama. How many times have we seen this type thing play out?

farmin68

darn2ten said:
The problem is..... Who have they played? All these people screaming are not taking into account strength of schedule. Just like in 2012 when when ND came in 12-0 in the NC game and gets flat out trucked 42-14 by Alabama. How many times have we seen this type thing play out?

Exactly. Thankfully this committee is trying to avoid a repeat of that. ND fans whining that they should be ranked higher are no different than some of those Mountain West conference teams arguing that they should've had a shot at the BCS because of their record. :crazy:

A

Anonymous

What was the score the last time Notre Dame played an SEC school? Give some stats as to why the SEC is not the best confrence?

BamaProud

Hangnail said:
Well, let's see. The title winner for seven of the last eight years is from one conference. By far, the most NFL draftees are from that conference during that time period.

That is only because ESPN hypes the conference. If ESPN would put its efforts an money behind the Big10 they would dominate for the next decade. [/endSarcasm]

Latest posts