Elk gun? Is mine enough?

4onaside

Sting said:
Hunted in Colorado (Sangre De Cristo Range). It's basically west of Pueblo. BLM (gov't) land.
Guided? I know the general area, as I am a Colorado hunter also.
We hunt on the West side of the San Luis valley.

cdw338

The only elk I have taken was out of Grand Junction Co. I used a 7mm Mag with hand loadd of 160 gr. Shot the elk at 425 yards.

I have taken at times, a 338 win mag, 300 Win mag, the 7 Mag and
others at times and the 7 Mag had done everything it was called on to do. If I ever go back, I will take a 7 Mag and a 300 Ultra
mag as a back up.

I have a friend that lives out there that shot a bull that scored just a fraction over 350 last year. I have an invertation
anytime I want to go.

4onaside

I don't know the bullet, never hunted with it. However, anything .30 caliber or above, I'd use a heavier bullet. I you are shooting a 30.06, I like a 180gr bullet for the bigger critters.

rack'em up

4onaside said:
I don't know the bullet, never hunted with it. However, anything .30 caliber or above, I'd use a heavier bullet. I you are shooting a 30.06, I like a 180gr bullet for the bigger critters.
im shootin a savage 270.

4onaside

rack'em up said:
4onaside said:
im shootin a savage 270.
Well, I'd have no problem elk hunting with a .270. I own one, but elk hunt with the .06 because it can handle a heavier bullet. But, a partition or bonded bullet in 150 gr. I suspect would be fine.

A

Anonymous

got a model 7 3oo ultra mag stainless topped with 4.5x 14x50 nikon stainless scope will put on you for 1300.00. It will overkill anything living

4onaside

Dale C Ford said:
got a model 7 3oo ultra mag stainless topped with 4.5x 14x50 nikon stainless scope will put on you for 1300.00. It will overkill anything living
After all of the newer "short magnums" came out, I basically quit keeping up with those calibers and the actions that enclosed them, because I already had every caliber that I would ever need, in the so called"standard calibers". However, I was always under the impression that the Model 7 was designed primarily for the short standards, .308, .260, 7mm/08, etc. The fact, that it is chambered for a magnum caliber sort of surprises me.

Latest posts