Eating predators ?

CATCHDAWG

Same here, the ONE time I had it. Bear from western NC, cooked by a lady in SW TN. A few fellow hunters tried to talk me out of trying it. I'm glad I did not heed their "advice". It was good, a lot better than I expected, even though I had nothing to go on, just a preconceived notion. Also ate coon many moons ago. It was average at best the ONE time I had it. Also ate snapping turtle back around 2000 when I visited contractors working at a job site on the White River in Arkansas. It was pretty tasty that day, but I was hungry, and in my 20s. My boss would not try it.
Turtle can be pretty freakin good depending on how you cook it. Pretty nasty to clean, but some good vittles! They are also a lot better if you put them in a tub of fresh water for a week or so and change the water daily. The key to bear is to get them cooled down ASAP otherwise, the meat won't turn out that great.

Boll Weevil

Snapping turtle is just dang good…once it quits twitching and quivering. Really enjoy it. Bear smoked summer sausage is plain awesome. Dense, rich, savory. Bear roast a la crockpot, plan on a nap. It's a heavy heavy meal.

rodeojoe

Have had, Bear, Snapping turtle, BBQ Coon, Alligator tail, Rattlesnake, and others I have forgot over the years. I like my meat well done so that helps with the parasites.
I would try Yote and Bobcat if I knew a good Chinese Chef to prepare it for me.;)

swd

I got a bear last year. It was awesome! It was like the offspring of a cow and a hog.

I am always on the lookout for my first bobcat. I am really interested in trying the meat.

bfowler02

Sounds like they are ok to eat as long as its not your primary meat source and its cooked well. I agree bear does sound like it would be good.

waynesworld

Dog have been eaten by many now and through out history. I don't see much difference between them and coyotes.
I have and would eat a dog but would not eat any yotes that I have seen. The dogs raised to eat are kept just like cattle before they are killed. I don't and wouldn't butcher a dog myself unless it was a real need though.

rukiddin

Try skinning a coyote out.
That will kill any desire to taste one

I can skin anything and have on lots of different critters but I shot a big male coyote last winter and his coat was really nice. I decided to skin him. That is the first and last coyote that I will ever skin. I can and have eat a sandwich while gutting a gut shot deer. Just never bothered me, but the smell of that coyote while I skinned it was enough for me to say never again.

Way I figure it, if a vulture won't even eat a dead coyote, I ain't got any business eating it either.

Tenntrapper

I can skin anything and have on lots of different critters but I shot a big male coyote last winter and his coat was really nice. I decided to skin him. That is the first and last coyote that I will ever skin. I can and have eat a sandwich while gutting a gut shot deer. Just never bothered me, but the smell of that coyote while I skinned it was enough for me to say never again.

Way I figure it, if a vulture won't even eat a dead coyote, I ain't got any business eating it either.
Is that true...a vulture wont eat a yote? I was wondering about it. I shot one last spring. It just lay there. Never did see anything get on it.

CATCHDAWG

Is that true...a vulture wont eat a yote? I was wondering about it. I shot one last spring. It just lay there. Never did see anything get on it.
One time in my life, I saw vultures standing over a dead coyote. They weren't eating it and it appeared that they hadn't ate any of it. All the ones I have killed where I could monitor them laid there till they rotted.

KPH

Had a second cousin who was a POW and in the Bataan Death March. Said they ate every thing that came across the compound. Dogs cats monkeys ects. I bet a coyote would have been a good meal.

rukiddin

I've killed 6 here. All 6 have rotted or been eat by the maggots. I can shoot a skunk or throw deer parts behind my barn and vultures will be on it in less than 2 hours.

ROVERBOY

I've heard of people eating Mountain Lion too. They say the back straps and loins are great. An old man near me, cooked a bobcat once, and a guy I worked with ate some and liked it.

Latest posts