Eating predators ?

bfowler02

I'm just curious sifting through these threads, I'm new to hunting and I've never really heard of people eating predators. There seems to be a negative stigma associated with it so I'm wondering if you guys are eating these coyotes, bobcats and fox etc... Thanks in advance

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
I'm just curious sifting through these threads, I'm new to hunting and I've never really heard of people eating predators. There seems to be a negative stigma associated with it so I'm wondering if you guys are eating these coyotes, bobcats and fox etc... Thanks in advance
Ran into a guy last year while I was slinging a yote in the Yota... he said his buddy feeds his dogs yote meat.

Weegee

I'm going to try some of the next coyote I shoot. I've only ever shot one, though. I have also heard the bobcat and mountain lion are tasty. I'm sure it's just like anything, you have to handle it properly.

CATCHDAWG

I don't consider a bear a predator but they are good. Racoons taste a lot like bear with 100X more grease. I ain't eating no coyote, period! Got a buddy who absolutely swears by bobcat backstrap but I haven't tried it yet. Ate plenty of possum as a kid but they had penned and "cleaned out" for a few weeks first. Not a predator but if you want to eat some sort of varmint, get yourself a groundhog and heat up the Dutch oven! THAT is good stuff!

Safari Hunt

FWIW, the Lewis & Clark Expedition traded with the Indians for dogs when things were dicey. Got to where they preferred dog to elk. Heard that mountain lion was good. Coon and possum are eaten but my father said they were greasy. He used to trap when he was a kid. Uncle used to eat groundhog...said they were cleaner than a chicken. Just look inside a chicken house. BTW, had a DQ $6 lunch today with a peanut butter sundae.

bfowler02

I'm less inclined to because by nature predators carry more parasites. Can't cook the meat rare.
I've heard this as being a major reason why not to eat them as well. I would like to try some bear , I never really thought of them as a predator myself as they seem to always be foraging for berries , roots , insects etc..... then again they seem to love fish though . My main concern over eating predatorial animals is the health aspect as mentioned before over anything else. I just don't want to get sick from eating them. I suppose once in awhile would be fine if cooked correctly . Thanks for the info

Andy S.

I've ate bear. It was good.
Same here, the ONE time I had it. Bear from western NC, cooked by a lady in SW TN. A few fellow hunters tried to talk me out of trying it. I'm glad I did not heed their "advice". It was good, a lot better than I expected, even though I had nothing to go on, just a preconceived notion. Also ate coon many moons ago. It was average at best the ONE time I had it. Also ate snapping turtle back around 2000 when I visited contractors working at a job site on the White River in Arkansas. It was pretty tasty that day, but I was hungry, and in my 20s. My boss would not try it.

Wobblyshot1

I guess you can....especially when you're hungry. From Nimrod Porter(civilian) of Maury County in his diary on Dec. 24,1864.
20210922_150419~2.jpg

Latest posts