Eating bass

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
This picture showed up as a "memory" on my facebook today.
It is from 3 years ago.
One of the ponds at the country club was absolutely over run with bass and we went to help them out a bit. LOL

This was when I figured out I didn't really care for eating bass.
I will say they were easy to fillet though. :D

3 of us kept this many and caught & released probably 3 times that many more in just a couple hours.
I heard of people catching 5 & 6 pounders out of there but never saw one of them and these are about the largest ones we ever caught.

Just thought it was a pretty neat picture.

Mike Belt

Brings back a memory for me as well. I've had 1 stringer of bass like that with 14 fish. Everyone of them weighed 3.5-6.5 pounds. I had a ball that late spring morning! I ate some of them and have since but they aren't nearly my favorite eating fish.

TNReb

I grew up eating bass, so I've never thought twice about it.

I'll take a crappie over a bass in a heartbeat, but I don't mind bass at all.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Mike Belt":2sh7d46u said:
Brings back a memory for me as well. I've had 1 stringer of bass like that with 14 fish. Everyone of them weighed 3.5-6.5 pounds. I had a ball that late spring morning! I ate some of them and have since but they aren't nearly my favorite eating fish.

These were all 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds.

bowhunterfanatic

I love bass. The smaller the better. We rarely catch any out of our eater pond over a pound, but we put them back when we do. We've been fighting overpopulation for a good many years now, and even though we've kept over 1,000 fish the last 5 or so years I don't even think we've made a dent.

Buzzard Breath

Spotted bass, 15 fish; no size limit. I eat them all the time. Gut, scale, put some vertices cuts in them. Stuff cavity with fresh dill, scallions, rub with butter. Grill until done. Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

UpperTully

I grew up fishing a 3 acre pond at my grandparents stocked with nothing but bass and 3 - 1 acre ponds full of catfish. It wasn't anything to catch a stringer of bass or catfish like that. During the summer of 88 everything dried up, we pulled so much bass, bream and catfish out of those ponds and put them in the freezer. It seemed like we ate fish everyday for a year. Since then, I've never just had to have bass, bream or catfish. I love catching them but don't care to eat them. However, I wont turn down crappie or sauger!

jotahech

I've eaten plenty of bass. Tend to stick with panfish, but if it is hurt I'll fillet him too.

moondawg

I'ts been awhile, but best I remember, it was good. I'd certainly eat bass again.

Caught a few at the ex inlaws's pond one time and they were roasting hotdogs. I figured I'd fillet it and cook it like I cook my trout on my camping trips. Season the filet with lemon pepper (cajun seasoning also works), a dash of salt. Then add a pat of butter and a slice of lemon (optional, but recommended). Wrap it in aluminum foil, and then place on a bed of coals. Let it sit for 7 minutes on one side, then turn it over and let it cook for 6 minutes on the other side. Then it should be done or very close to being done. Being that bass (and trout, and most fish in general) does not have much fat, it won't take long to cook.

I did this, and brought it inside the house to see if it was done, and it was. I offered the ex a bite of fish, and...she loved it. She didn't like fish to begin with, but she said the bass was delicious. That let me know I did it right!

BackwoodsBoy

I like em, but I only keep bass if hooked deeply and I injure them retriving the lure. I think bass a great eating especially smallmouth but I can't bring my self to keep a smallmouth, especially out of a smaller stream

I enjoy bluegill , crappie and small catfish for eating generally.

wobblegobble

Like Catman, Largemouth Bass are a good eating but smallmouth are the best! I fillet many until the water temperature gets 80 degree.

Latest posts