East TN New Guy

SpurChaser

Hello all. Just moved to the Chattanooga area from coastal NC, and I'm looking to get some info on the public land situation here. I have been on the TWRA lands for hunting page and looked into the regs. I'll be doing all my hunting on public land, so any tips or insight would be much appreciated. Looking forward to figuring out the East TN style of hunting!

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
Welcome to Tennessee and welcome to TNDEER! I'm just north of Chattanooga. Can't really give any info other then figure out the hunters and hunt terrain features during the rut. These deer do whatever whenever they want.

akachuck

Welcome to TN and TNDEER. I live just north of you in the Knoxville area. I do agree with the others that these deer here are wild and they do whatever they want. I just started hunting public and I'll tell you the things I've learned.
go to the places you think will provide, find a area where you think there is the least human trafficking meaning there is no people near by. I hunt public land that is only accessible by boat and it seems to work out. If you have any questions ask around or PM me. I'll be happy to help you out in any way I can.

Volbuck777

Hey welcome to the campfire. I'm not sure what hunting is like in coastal Carolina but I've hunted Fl, Ga, Al, Ky, Oh, In, and all over the great state of Tennessee. I'm from East Tennessee so I hunt here regularly and I'll say it's by far the hardest, the other places mentioned don't compare. We don't have near the herd but have as many hunters as the rest of these places. I guess by saying that you know that means the deer get heavy pressure. I hunt my own place, plus public ( TVA and WMA's) it's not for everyone, most of the guys I know gave up along time ago. First thing you need to know is don't let other people walking around the woods bother you. It's going to happen. Second, if you see deer, any deer, you're doing good. Lol, reading that back to myself makes me want to quit hunting East Tennessee. Just kidding. I promise, I'm not trying to discourage you but give you honest insight. There's a lot of pride in taking a mountain buck. It's by far my favorite. I've been lucky enough to drop a few ranging from 110 to 140s. I'll also say to see deer you may have to go against the grain. What that means is don't be a tv hunter. Where I hunt, blinds are useless, 4wheelers turn them nocturnal, if you use scents, you have done educated them and if it's possible don't use a light to walk to or from your stand. I can do that most anywhere else and it doesn't matter but not this region. Good luck to you.

Grill-n-man

Google recreation on undeveloped TVA public lands. This should lead you to an app you can download that will show TVA lands and what you can do on it. Some you need a boat to get to some don't. Also an app like ONx that will show you boundary lines will help. Trick with TVA land is knowing the boundaries. A lot of it boarders private lands but is wrongly posted by landowners and hunting leases especially on the river. Knowing the boundaries is key. There is more public land than most think but it takes some effort, patients, and restraint to hunt it. Never hunted NC but in TN read the hunting proclamations (actual laws) along with the hunting/fishing guide ( not law only quick reference material ), make sure you have ALL your licenses, and put some time in. You'll run into many that will help, offer advise, and enjoy simply being out hunting/fishing. But be prepared there are just as many out there that you'll kill their deer, believe trespassing and stealing is acceptable behavior, you must hunt like they do, and just all around hate life for some reason. Not being negative but you expressed interest in hunting in Tn and that's the short sweet. In this part of the state it's just as important to understand the mindset of others hunters as well as the game your after

But if you have trouble with finding the app or just want to chew the fat about some hunting around the area send me a PM and reply on here you sent me a pm. Don't log in much anymore but do drop by for the occasional read

SpurChaser

I really appreciate all the wise words and advice from y'all. I'm excited to see what East TN has to offer! Trust me, I have had my times of people walking under my stand, people shooting on neighboring properties, trucks running into the flock of turkeys I'm working, so on and so forth. I'm not into all the fancy theatrics of TV hunting crap. I just like to be in the woods and feed my family.

I will definitely be looking into the TVA lands. There are a lot of different property types here compared to what I am used to in NC so there is definitely a learning curve there. I have OnX, and have already done a lot of online scouting, hopefully it pays off. I am looking forward to letting the air out of some deer here in TN!

huvrman

Welcome to East/Central TN where the deer are part billy goat and you must have a plan (if you decide to take the shot) on retrieving deer out of some of the deepest, steepest ravines known to man. Quartering and packing out is an option I've had to use before. I've hunted TN, Texas, Mississippi, and Missouri for whitetails. TN is by far the most challenging yet rewarding hunting I've done.

DoubleRidge

Welcome from Middle TN....being from Middle TN I don't have allot to offer but I have hunted Cherokee NF before....Allot of ground to cover and explore there....good luck this fall!!

44 mag

Welcome to TN. I am in middle Tennessee but grew up hunting in Hawkins Co. I will always have a place in my heart for E Tn. Good luck this fall

flyinpro

Welcome. Tennessee has WMA that are restricted even though they are "Public". Oddly enough these just happen to be some of the best places to hunt.

Rakkin6

I was raised in East Tennessee closer to Knoxville/Oak Ridge area. Maybe look at Big South Fork area. Not sure of a lot of land near Chattanooga. Best of luck to you.

rifle02

Hello all. Just moved to the Chattanooga area from coastal NC, and I'm looking to get some info on the public land situation here. I have been on the TWRA lands for hunting page and looked into the regs. I'll be doing all my hunting on public land, so any tips or insight would be much appreciated. Looking forward to figuring out the East TN style of hunting!
Welcome to Chattanooga, Tennessee! If you are willing to buy a non-resident license there is great hunting on public land in Northwest Georgia. I hunted there for many many years and did well. I hunt private property in Tennessee actually not far from Chattanooga and I can tell you the deer population is great. Sorry I'm not much help on the public land in Tennessee situation but there is quite a bit not far from you.

rukiddin

No idea on public land options around here but I've killed a pile of deer from central NC to the coast growing up there. I Love it!!! I'll take the "land of the longleaf" any day over east TN hunting!!!

Rakkin6

Lol

I remember at Bragg they called it the Land of the Longleaf Pine.

I had to recite this when I was in Robin Sage.

Here's to the land of the long leaf pine,
The summer land where the sun doth shine,
Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great,
Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!

Rakkin6

No idea on public land options around here but I've killed a pile of deer from central NC to the coast growing up there. I Love it!!! I'll take the "land of the longleaf" any day over east TN hunting!!!
But honestly in my limited time at Bragg I was not impressed with the deer hunting in that area. Plus they run dogs after deer there also, which is just super weird to me. I know it is popular in certain areas but it sucks when on public land and a pack of dogs run under your stand. Not bashing that type of hunting just not for me. But I did hate it when my hunts were ruined. I grew up in east Tennessee and the hunting is tough over there. I live in middle Tennessee now and it is completely different here then over there. Honestly the hunting and fishing is one of the reasons I am staying here since I retired.

Latest posts