East TN Deer

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Would love to see the pros do it here!
Please don't say that. They will come, bomb an area with "aggressive tactics" while showing their spots, then leave it in a shambles for crowds to come to after they see the vids. The pros bounce from place to place all season, so they have no reason to be cautious and make it last because they have multiple tags across multiple states. A spot that is tough enough to hunt suddenly becomes tougher.

I'm impressed by what many of them can do, but I don't want them doing it in an area that I hunt

SSlater

I've hunted a few different states and regions. I'm from Michigan and I loved hunting there but even though Tennessee is harder hunting, it's my favorite place to hunt.

batten_down

I burned a lot of my best years hunting public land swamps in Central Florida. Mosquito and alligator infested. Poisonous snakes and wild pigs. Bears and panthers were a real possibility. The land was thick, and flooded more often than not. And hot. Just seeing a deer was a successful hunt; any kill was a trophy. And justifiably so. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I'll take East Tennessee whitetails any day of the week, and twice on Sunday before I ever go back to hunting Florida.

JN

I just got back from a two day hunt in the mountains of Unicoi. I consider myself to be in decent shape and I feel absolutely whooped. My entire body is sore like I just completed a spartan beast race but it was all worth it. I ended up with a decent size 8pt that took me almost 3hrs to pack out. To me I enjoy the challenge and the reward is great even if it isn't the biggest buck I have ever taken. It makes me feel like more of hunter when I am able to harvest one of those mountain deer that just seem more wild to me then the ones at the farm

killingtime 41

There is no tougher hunt. And if your not use to it it'll whoop you. But it's impossible to get use to unless your in your prime and do it often to stay in shape. There's bigger and more deer the farther west you go and it also gets a little flatter. If you really want to work hard for one. You've found the area

timberjack86

Please don't say that. They will come, bomb an area with "aggressive tactics" while showing their spots, then leave it in a shambles for crowds to come to after they see the vids. The pros bounce from place to place all season, so they have no reason to be cautious and make it last because they have multiple tags across multiple states. A spot that is tough enough to hunt suddenly becomes tougher.

I'm impressed by what many of them can do, but I don't want them doing it in an area that I hunt
How many people are going to pack a deer out 2 miles out of a mountain Laurel hell hole? I say come try it.

Chiflyguy

There is no tougher hunt. And if your not use to it it'll whoop you. But it's impossible to get use to unless your in your prime and do it often to stay in shape. There's bigger and more deer the farther west you go and it also gets a little flatter. If you really want to work hard for one. You've found the area
Man, I'm learning that.
The little spot I hunt behind my house, 17 acres starts off with a 60 degree climb, 300 feet up to hit the top.
Too many years of city livin sure shows😀
The terrain is crazy. Keep in mind, I never saw mountains til I was 46☹️
It's cool sitting in my blind at the top of a ridge and hearing movement as the sound travels up and over and never see the deer.
I love it here

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I just got back from a two day hunt in the mountains of Unicoi. I consider myself to be in decent shape and I feel absolutely whooped. My entire body is sore like I just completed a spartan beast race but it was all worth it. I ended up with a decent size 8pt that took me almost 3hrs to pack out. To me I enjoy the challenge and the reward is great even if it isn't the biggest buck I have ever taken. It makes me feel like more of hunter when I am able to harvest one of those mountain deer that just seem more wild to me then the ones at the farm
Congrats on your buck! You will learn quickly how mountain shape you area. Unicoi has some of the roughest terrain in the area. I've been with guys taking 3-5 hours to get a deer out of the wrong holler.

Latest posts