East Tennessee Rifle?

cm1021

@Flint mentioned Kibler…. I just finished one of his Southern Mountain Rifle kits. I like it.

It's shooting pretty good. .40 Cal 50gr FFFg black powder.

View attachment 182242

View attachment 182243
What stock tier did you go with? And did you have to order it without the patch box? I am looking at picking up my first one and don't want a patch box on it.

I'm going for a simple "poor folk" rifle.

Harold Money jr

Just as soon as I get the lead out I'm planning on starting a Southern mountain rifle build using an ash blank. Ash is generally a very durable wood and quite a few were built using it. How does a .29 caliber flintlock sound to you. I can't add much more to this thread as it seems to have been covered well by other posters. Below is a pic of an old East Tennessee boy and his shootin iron.
.View attachment 115237
All I can think about a .29 muzzy Is that a man would need to be VERY careful with the ramrod. That thing would have to be SKINNY!!

Terrier

What stock tier did you go with? And did you have to order it without the patch box? I am looking at picking up my first one and don't want a patch box on it.

I'm going for a simple "poor folk" rifle.
I went extra fancy maple. I'd been pining for a swamped barrel flinter for better than 30 years. Fell out of the scene for quite a while, pursuing the music biz and making a living, but one taste of it back several weeks ago at a shoot with the TN Longhunters, and I was back to bidness.

The Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle kit is what I got in .40 cal. I used iron nitrate for stain and Permalyn sealer with some Honey Amber tint for the final finish… about 6 drops for the ounce of sealer it took to do the gun stock, three ramrods and three file handles I'd recently cranked out.

The kits aren't cheap, but man, oh man, it was way easier to put together than the TC kit I put together back in the 80s. And they shoot great. Rice barrels.

Latest posts