East Tennessee Rifle?

Flint

I anyone familiar with the muzzleloader pictured here?
Described as an East Tennessee Rifle built by Johnnie Walker.
That rifle is ridiculously beautiful and has me wanting to know more.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/best-guns-for-hillbillies/
Wanting to learn about those guns may lead you down a path of no return…they are very addicting. Lol.

I'm not familiar with that builder but they are many that make beautiful guns. Check out the photos at Kiblers Longrifles:

There are some longrifle shows that are not too far from middle tn. The Alabama Kentucky longrifle show is held at Joe Wheeler state park. I liked it so much the first time I went that me and a friend got a table at the last show to show our guns and related stuff. Had a blast.

Another show is at Lake Cumberland state park in Kentucky. Lots of guns and knives and such. It's put on by the Contemporary Longrifle Association. I took another friend to the show this year and when we got there he said "I think I've died and gone to heaven"….and we were just in the foyer.

Check out Blackpowder TV YouTube channel. He's got some nice guns.

LanceS4803

I have shot an inline for years, but have always been attracted to the flintlock.
Joe Wheeler isn't far, will have to keep any eye out for that show.
Thanks for the link. A work buddy has built MZs, so I may get him involved if I go that route.

mike243

I have a buddy lives in Illinois that has a small caliber looks a lot like that but think it's a cap fired, he kills squirrels with it every year, he has a board with holes drilled in it where he stages his shots , he can get off rounds really quick lol If $ was no problem I would need a warehouse to store my gun

Rancocas

That is a classic Tennessee Rifle. They were made all over the southeast, but Soddy-Daisy, northwest of Chattanooga was once sort of a center of production for that type. The Tennessee Mountain Rifle is quite similar. The long, narrow patchbox and deeply curved butt plate are distinctive traits of the type. They are generally a poorer man's version of the so-called "Kentucky Rifle", or "Pennsylvania Rifle". Those more elaborate types usually have brass furniture whereas the Tennessee and Southern Mountain types more often used iron for patchboxes and other fittings.

There are actually dozens of different styles of traditional muzzleloaders, each developed in a different part of the country according to the needs, available materials, and perceptions of the local people. To name just a few besides the Tennessee Rifle, there are Lancaster, York, Virginia, Lehigh, North Carolina, and many more styles or "schools" as the different types are sometimes called. Some of the differences are quite subtle and only an expert can tell them apart. Other styles, such as the Tennessee Rifle, are quite distinctive.

There are plenty of contemporary builders who would be glad to make you one, but you can figure on $2000. and up. Then there are companies such as Track of the Wolf, and Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading that provide both finished rifles, kits, or "in-the-white" models that you can finish yourself. I think their basic kits start around $850. or thereabouts, and then add on whatever custom features you may want.
Pecatonica Longrifle Supply is another company that I have dealt with. They don't sell kits, but they do sell all the necessary components to build your own historically correct muzzleloader.

These are "the real thing"; quality firearms that closely follow the lines of the originals. They are not relatively cheap reproductions such as are offered by Lyman or Traditions.
Lyman and Traditions owners please don't take offense. They are fine for their purpose, but they just don't cut the mustard when it comes to the real deal.

Look them up. They all have websites.

Oh, btw; the deeply curved buttplate is not meant to be held against the shoulder as is a modern gunstock. Rather, it is held further out the arm, just above the bicep muscle with the arm extended straight out from the shoulder.

Grainger

Here's some pics of a rifle my Dad put together from a kit he got from Dixie Gun Works. He made this ~1968-69.

This is the first one he made. He made about 30-40 of them and he sold them for $400 back in the day. He was several years backed up when he quit taking orders in the late 70's.

I expect most of them ended up on the mantle over somebody's fireplace, but these were fully functioning guns. The one pictured took a 6 pointer in '69 at Chuck Swan, back when it was still called "Central Peninsula".

He made Caplocks, Flintlocks; KY and PA styled rifles; Hawken style, and made a "Brown Bess" musket in .75 cal--that thing was a real thumper!

He cast his own bullets, and even bought cow horns and made Powder Horns to go with them. I got one of his Powder Horns too, I just couldn't find it this AM.

These Muzzleloaders were the first guns my Dad would let me shoot at the age of 6--he would download the powder charge, and only one shot to go astray.

My Dad, and his black powder buddies had monthly matches at the Oak Ridge Sportsmans Association. One shoot, they took a double bladed ax head and drove it into the horizontal face of a log. On either side of ax head were 2 dinner plates bought at the the local "Dime Store". The object was to split the bullet on the ax head and break both plates simultaneously. Everyone, except one had a shot and no one split the bullet. One of the men turned to my Dad and said: "You wanna' give Youngblood a try". My Dad LOL'd and said: "Sure, why not". He downloaded a charge in the "Brown Bess" and handed it to me. The musket was as tall as I was. I stood up to the line, summoned all the strength a 6 or 7 year could muster, closed both eyes and let 'er rip. That ball was so big, and travelled so slow, you could see the ball fly, and the arc it took as it split itself on the ax head and broke both the plates. "Luckiest" shot I've ever taken in more than 50 yrs of pulling the trigger.

The guffaws, laughter, and shouts of "Ringer", were louder than the shot it self. My Dad was as proud of me as can be.

Great memories, I sure miss that mean ol' cuss.
CCDEDF5A-490F-4213-9B32-F43C24067B6F.jpeg
CC51BA77-EF92-4577-982B-A326B11FC75B.jpeg
EE22D8E0-5CD8-46AC-9649-70345D91657A.jpeg
2D2F0204-946D-4259-AD33-E291E866CA56.jpeg
D2C67245-8E21-45E3-A396-B72FBBE309EE.jpeg

rifle02

On the subject of East Tennessee rifles. I have seen several original Rifles made locally in the East Tennessee area that were stocked with Ash. All were very plain and appeared to have been converted to cap lock from Flint. They had no patch box. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered such a thing. Also the Ash did not age well over the years and all rifles had very Punky wood.

Wobblyshot1

Just as soon as I get the lead out I'm planning on starting a Southern mountain rifle build using an ash blank. Ash is generally a very durable wood and quite a few were built using it. How does a .29 caliber flintlock sound to you. I can't add much more to this thread as it seems to have been covered well by other posters. Below is a pic of an old East Tennessee boy and his shootin iron.
FB_IMG_1548356802415.jpg

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

That is a classic Tennessee Rifle. They were made all over the southeast, but Soddy-Daisy, northwest of Chattanooga was once sort of a center of production for that type. The Tennessee Mountain Rifle is quite similar. The long, narrow patchbox and deeply curved butt plate are distinctive traits of the type. They are generally a poorer man's version of the so-called "Kentucky Rifle", or "Pennsylvania Rifle". Those more elaborate types usually have brass furniture whereas the Tennessee and Southern Mountain types more often used iron for patchboxes and other fittings.

There are actually dozens of different styles of traditional muzzleloaders, each developed in a different part of the country according to the needs, available materials, and perceptions of the local people. To name just a few besides the Tennessee Rifle, there are Lancaster, York, Virginia, Lehigh, North Carolina, and many more styles or "schools" as the different types are sometimes called. Some of the differences are quite subtle and only an expert can tell them apart. Other styles, such as the Tennessee Rifle, are quite distinctive.

There are plenty of contemporary builders who would be glad to make you one, but you can figure on $2000. and up. Then there are companies such as Track of the Wolf, and Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading that provide both finished rifles, kits, or "in-the-white" models that you can finish yourself. I think their basic kits start around $850. or thereabouts, and then add on whatever custom features you may want.
Pecatonica Longrifle Supply is another company that I have dealt with. They don't sell kits, but they do sell all the necessary components to build your own historically correct muzzleloader.

These are "the real thing"; quality firearms that closely follow the lines of the originals. They are not relatively cheap reproductions such as are offered by Lyman or Traditions.
Lyman and Traditions owners please don't take offense. They are fine for their purpose, but they just don't cut the mustard when it comes to the real deal.

Look them up. They all have websites.

Oh, btw; the deeply curved buttplate is not meant to be held against the shoulder as is a modern gunstock. Rather, it is held further out the arm, just above the bicep muscle with the arm extended straight out from the shoulder.
Wow!! You the cat on them thar smoke poles! Awesome

LanceS4803

This season of Meateater had a great episode of hunting PA's flintlock only season.
"Steve and friends are plagued by troubles during Pennsylvania's flintlock muzzleloader deer season."

What a frustrating, but potentially rewarding, endeavor.

Smo

Good guns that are well maintained aren't frustrating..
In fact they are very reliable.
Out of 33 shoots I only had 2 hammfalls that failed too fired.
Both were on target 15 of a 30 target range.

A light knapiping of the flint and it was good for the remaining 16 shots without another issue.

Chiflyguy

Here's some pics of a rifle my Dad put together from a kit he got from Dixie Gun Works. He made this ~1968-69.

This is the first one he made. He made about 30-40 of them and he sold them for $400 back in the day. He was several years backed up when he quit taking orders in the late 70's.

I expect most of them ended up on the mantle over somebody's fireplace, but these were fully functioning guns. The one pictured took a 6 pointer in '69 at Chuck Swan, back when it was still called "Central Peninsula".

He made Caplocks, Flintlocks; KY and PA styled rifles; Hawken style, and made a "Brown Bess" musket in .75 cal--that thing was a real thumper!

He cast his own bullets, and even bought cow horns and made Powder Horns to go with them. I got one of his Powder Horns too, I just couldn't find it this AM.

These Muzzleloaders were the first guns my Dad would let me shoot at the age of 6--he would download the powder charge, and only one shot to go astray.

My Dad, and his black powder buddies had monthly matches at the Oak Ridge Sportsmans Association. One shoot, they took a double bladed ax head and drove it into the horizontal face of a log. On either side of ax head were 2 dinner plates bought at the the local "Dime Store". The object was to split the bullet on the ax head and break both plates simultaneously. Everyone, except one had a shot and no one split the bullet. One of the men turned to my Dad and said: "You wanna' give Youngblood a try". My Dad LOL'd and said: "Sure, why not". He downloaded a charge in the "Brown Bess" and handed it to me. The musket was as tall as I was. I stood up to the line, summoned all the strength a 6 or 7 year could muster, closed both eyes and let 'er rip. That ball was so big, and travelled so slow, you could see the ball fly, and the arc it took as it split itself on the ax head and broke both the plates. "Luckiest" shot I've ever taken in more than 50 yrs of pulling the trigger.

The guffaws, laughter, and shouts of "Ringer", were louder than the shot it self. My Dad was as proud of me as can be.

Great memories, I sure miss that mean ol' cuss.
View attachment 115202View attachment 115205View attachment 115206View attachment 115207View attachment 115204
That your dads autograph?
Cool!

TennesseeJed

Just as soon as I get the lead out I'm planning on starting a Southern mountain rifle build using an ash blank. Ash is generally a very durable wood and quite a few were built using it. How does a .29 caliber flintlock sound to you. I can't add much more to this thread as it seems to have been covered well by other posters. Below is a pic of an old East Tennessee boy and his shootin iron.
.View attachment 115237
Where are you getting the .29 barrel, Ed Rayl, Charlie Burton, or someone else?

Latest posts