East Tennessee Bear Hunt

swd

I am toying with the idea of spending a week or so this fall in East TN chasing deer and bears. I have been pulling data from the TWRA hunters toolbox. I see that most bears are killed with a gun.

Is there any information on bears killed via dogs versus more as a byproduct of incidental take while deer hunting versus dedicated bear hunting?

Weegee

I don't have numbers for you, but my understanding is that the vast majority of bears that are killed here in the southeast are killed over bait, with dogs, or incidentally while hunting deer. You can't bait in Tennessee, and I would wager that way more bears are killed using dogs than taken incidentally. If it's something you're interested in, check out a guy named Clay Newcomb. He runs Bear Hunting Magazine out of Arkansas. I don't know if it was him or someone he's interviewed, but they refer to hunting black bears in eastern deciduous forests without bait or dogs as the "sheep hunt of the south." I hope to take a bear in east Tennessee one day, but I don't think I'll be able to get out there this year.

timberjack86

I don't have numbers for you, but my understanding is that the vast majority of bears that are killed here in the southeast are killed over bait, with dogs, or incidentally while hunting deer. You can't bait in Tennessee, and I would wager that way more bears are killed using dogs than taken incidentally. If it's something you're interested in, check out a guy named Clay Newcomb. He runs Bear Hunting Magazine out of Arkansas. I don't know if it was him or someone he's interviewed, but they refer to hunting black bears in eastern deciduous forests without bait or dogs as the "sheep hunt of the south." I hope to take a bear in east Tennessee one day, but I don't think I'll be able to get out there this year.
All good info, if I was going to hunt bears in the southeast without dogs I would pick Georgia. There seasons are more friendly to still hunting. The dogs move bears around alot during the hunts and you cannot count on natural bear movement.

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
I am toying with the idea of spending a week or so this fall in East TN chasing deer and bears. I have been pulling data from the TWRA hunters toolbox. I see that most bears are killed with a gun.

Is there any information on bears killed via dogs versus more as a byproduct of incidental take while deer hunting versus dedicated bear hunting?
North East TN has some public land for bear hunting, but you have to use a bow/crossbow.

larry ipock

Carry a can of peaches with you, set down and eat. They'll show up. Seriously, I think they are attracted to Evercalm. Thats what I was using when one wrecked my ladderstand, and destroyed camo net over my Ol' Man, and left me a calling card with a pile of bear crap. Don't use Evercalm anymore in bear country, which in Scott County is just about anywhere you go now.

waynesworld

From what I heard from a person who works a lot with the bears in TN is that it would be more productive just go out dear hunting and you may see a bear. Of course if you take your bag of bacon with you they may show up early.

Rancocas

I don't know about the northern part, but here in the Cherokee National Forest south the Smokies bear (and hog) hunting pretty much requires a pack of hounds. No baiting is allowed. If you don't have the dogs, and are not part of a hunt club with dogs or have acquaintances with dogs who invite you along on the hunt then you have about as much chance of getting a bear as a katydid has of surviving a fall into a fire ant nest.
One option you might have is to find a gap in a ridge that has a well used game trail crossing through it. Take a stand there and wait and see what other people's hounds might push through the gap. Of course, taking a bear in front of someone else's dogs is not going to gain you any favors!

timberjack86

I don't know about the northern part, but here in the Cherokee National Forest south the Smokies bear (and hog) hunting pretty much requires a pack of hounds. No baiting is allowed. If you don't have the dogs, and are not part of a hunt club with dogs or have acquaintances with dogs who invite you along on the hunt then you have about as much chance of getting a bear as a katydid has of surviving a fall into a fire ant nest.
One option you might have is to find a gap in a ridge that has a well used game trail crossing through it. Take a stand there and wait and see what other people's hounds might push through the gap. Of course, taking a bear in front of someone else's dogs is not going to gain you any favors!
These guys do it all the time in Georgia, but they have limited dog hunts and a longer season. https://forum.gon.com/forums/bear-hunting.113/

DRSJ35

Plenty of bear in the mountains. Have a look at the map of the bear reserves and hunt the edges. But more here are killed with dogs. But I've seen many but didn't kill them without. You cannot bait any or your truck will be the property of the state along with your gun. And jail time will absolutely happen. They don't play when it comes to bear. But come check it out and put your walking boots on. Mountains will wear a man out so remember slow and steady.

Latest posts