Drumming

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Last edited:

Joe2Kool

Never been that close, but was about 5 feet from one Thursday. He was in a park, and I was taking pics.

I didn't hear drumming in the video. But I did hear purring. I attached a link to a video I posted last year with some drumming. I thought I posted in on here, but if I did, I couldn't find it. Anyway, take a listen.

tntrkkllr

Huntaholic

Some people can hear it, some cant and its even harder to catch on audio. Way back yonder when Shag was just a pup and not even shaggy, he and I along with his brother were hunting one evening. When they were both young, we rotated around on which one of them was shooting but we all went together. As we were sitting there playing the waiting game, his younger brother and I could hear a bird drumming that was probably 150yds away, around a bench below us. Shag absolutely COULD NOT hear it until it was 20yds from us and he was looking at it when it drummed!

Huntaholic

I've never heard one drum. I've looked videos up on YouTube trying to hear one so I can listen for it in real life but can't hear that sound.
The only way you will learn what it sounds like is to go with somebody that can hear it and TELL you when it does it. You can eventually pick it up that way. Ive taught lots of people what to listen for that way. Shag can hear it now, still not as far away as I can but thats got to do with the frequency.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I do have hearing loss, but it is in the high frequency mostly. I guess I'm just going to have to accept after all these years I just can't hear that frequency.

bowhunterfanatic

I almost never hear it. They have to be CLOSE. I can't ever pick it up on a video when someone says if you listen close you'll hear drumming. That being said the one I killed last week must've been the loudest drummer alive. I could hear him clearly over 100 yards away with 0 doubt as to what I was hearing. I'm assuming I don't hear the frequency very well.

PalsPal

I can't hear a turkey drum. I just found this video, and think I can hear drumming. Sounds kind of like a motorcycle rev its engine. Is there drumming in this video.

Yes that bird is drumming, but you have to listen with headphones, in a vehicle, or stereo with good bass. I don't hear it with just the phone speaker.

If you can hear the "spit", the drum comes right after it. You can also tell when he does it by his feathers quivering.

I used to not be able to hear it. I was even at a buddy's a few years ago, with some other turkey hunters, and he had a pet gobbler. They were amazed that I couldn't hear it drumming and it was right by my leg.

However, that all changed a few years ago when I was hunting and had heard one gobble at the end of a long narrow field to my left. I had sat up facing the field, and neglected to cover my back left side.

I was two steps to the right of the logging road that ran parallel to the field, with my back to the road.

That joker came down the road and was standing right behind me without making a peep. All of a sudden, I heard and FELT a thunderous "VROOOOOMMMM" !

I melted and almost came to tears because I knew what it was. And, no, we didn't get it, since it saw my dad move and was gone. He hadn't heard it.

Since then, I've heard it maybe a half dozen times, but they have to be close. And, I can't tell direction.

I do hear it occasionally on videos, but I have a good speaker system hooked to it.

Catman has several videos with drumming, after he upgraded his mic a few years ago.

Being able to hear it is a definite advantage.

30-06 type of guy

I can't hear it in person but I can't hear it plain as day in videos. Catmans mic picks it up really good. He'll usually say if he hears it drumming then the drum is usually not far behind.

megalomaniac

I can hear it well IF they are close (50y and in). Every once in a while I can hear one drum further than that, but not often.

Bird I killed last Tues came in right off the limb and landed on a rise past me. 10 min later I heard him drum 50y away 90deg past where he landed. I spun that way, and he popped up over the rise 22y away. If I hadn't heard the drum, I would have been out of position and I doubt I could have spun on him on time so close.to me.

AT Hiker

Had one come in on us Saturday. Gobbled good on roost and went silent after fly down. Did a calling sequence and decided to wait for a good bit before we got up. 15 mins after the last calling we hear one spit n drum about 30 yards down a logging road. If we wouldn't have heard him we would have gotten up and bumped him.

3 of us were hunting together, only 2 of us could hear him drum. I've always been able to him them and it's nothing more frustrating than trying to tell someone you heard it and they didn't…it's not because they didn't but it's because they couldn't.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I can still remember the first time I heard drumming, I was utterly shocked both at the sound and that I hadn't heard it before. Now that I'm tuned into the sound I can hear it easily, and being able to hear it has definitely helped kill many a turkey that wasn't gobbling.