What does drumming sound like?

MarlinSlayer

Well yesterday I went to the farm and heard gobbles as soon as I got out of the truck so I abandoned my initial plan and went toward the turkeys. I snuck in and when I thought I got close enough I realized I was no more than 40 yds from the closest roosted gobbler. Maybe 10-15 birds roosted within 50 yds. When they pitched across the creek, of course they moved away because they probably spied me. I only called lightly and on the roost they gobbled their heads off. One bird however, not roosted with the others gobbled a few times and was working his way toward me. He came in fairly quickly closing the last fifty yards in about 5 minutes. He came in from over my left shoulder and I caught a glimpse of his fan in the woods. He was all blown up, wing dragging etc....no longer gobbling, but spitting. As he got 23 yds from me he went behind a tree, so I got my gun up, he popped out slightly different place than what I expected and stared right at me when I adjusted the gun. Before I could pull the trigger, he jumped into the creek and ran off. It was only 7 am. I was still thrilled, called in a woods gobbler and no decoy. Later about 8 am, I worked another gobbler in a different place, but I never saw him. I probably didn't call enough. He lost interest and departed. I've been really trying to lay off the call as I called too much I believe in the last three years I've turkey hunted.

Here is my question. I never heard anything that could sound like drumming, but later in the day, I thought I heard some movement in the woods down a hill. I heard what sounded like a dull bong, like a stick being hit on the inside of a Home Depot bucket about 6-8 times. Is that what drumming sounds like? It was far to close to be someone on adjacent property, and I didn't hear anything to indicate I had trespassers hitting a bucket with a stick. Other times while chasing these dang birds, I've heard a more distinct "bonging" sound. "Bong"....little while later "Bong bong". I've pulled up youtube videos that say you can hear drumming, but I only hear the spit. Anyone have a good link for me to compare?

Also, in the woods on the back of my farm, I detected movement coming my way and watched as a HUGE bobcat made my way. He got real close...mostly brown with no cool discernible bobcat coloring. I am not exaggerating when I say that his body was as big as my big black lab. Obviously the legs were shorter, but his torso was as big around and he was longer...He was super muscular. If it weren't for his stub tail, I would have thought I had seen a cougar (that and slight wisps on the ears). He got abeam of where I was and just for fun I called a little more. He got in a low crouch at 20 yds and tried to get downwind of me. He even looked right where I was and continued the stalk until the wind shifted.....he then strolled off. Very cool. Too bad he was out of season, because I know some will not believe I saw what appeared to be a 60 lb cat. This is in Carrol county....where the "Cougar reports" have been. Maybe they're interbreeding and I saw a Coug-cat.....(Joke). Any help with identifying a drumming sound is appreciated. Also heard the "water-drop" sound when hens were near.....

All in all an awesome day. I did go back to where they were roosted at fly-up and I guess after my intrusion in the morning, they had no desire to go back that night....or do they shift around?

Setterman

Good stuff, some of the big mature bobcats are imposing

Drumming is one of those sounds that until you hear it and identify it, seems impossible to hear. Once you unlock it you'll hear it all the dang time and most times it's nothing. It's a very deep dropping bass tone that resonates

catman529

Sounds like a subwoofer that starts right when they "spit" some birds I can hear a ways off, and some are so quiet I can only hear the spit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WORM82

It's hard to describe. I think it sounds kinda like a metal barrel filled half full of water and someone slowly sloshing it back and forth.

Hunt 365

Like a low dull hum. I couldn't hear it for years till I had my ears surgically cleaned. Once you hear it, you'll realize you've probably already heard it and not noticed

TheLBLman

Remember the 1st Jurassic Park movie?

Cue in to the scene where the water was vibrating in the glass --- that's the way I've described what is as much a "feeling" as a "sound".

It's is also a vibration/sound akin to distant bombs or artillery shells hitting, so far away you can barely hear them, but can kinda "feel" that vibration.

PalsPal

Southern Sportsman":315ytxze said:
I cant really describe it, but watch this video. You can probably hear it better if you listen with earphones. I think some of the drum gets lost when playing on phone/computer speakers.

http://youtu.be/oQDSrIUaQ2U

This is a great video with spitting and drumming. Yes, use headphones. You will hear the spit, and then immediately following a low, rolling, drmmmmmmm.

I was one of the ones unable to hear it for years. I was with some buddies one year standing by his tame turkey, and they could not believe that I couldn't hear the drumming. Then, about 4-5 years ago now, I had a bird slip down a logging road just steps behind me while I was watching the field in front of me, and he drummed right behind me. It was so loud, and like others said, I felt it more than anything. I felt like I had been touched by an angel.

Now, I can hear it on occasion.

Southern Sportsman

TNhunter":28ro64p0 said:
I've never heard it. I can hear he spitting all the time. I can't even hear it in that video.

I can hear it in person, but I can only hear the spit in the video unless I listen with earphones.

catman529

I bought a microphone that cost nearly twice that of my shotgun so I could record turkeys drumming, one of the best sounds in the spring

megalomaniac

cowhunter71":2mtoxbhb said:
Master that "bubble" cluck and you will hear a lot more spitten and drummin ;)

Is this the 'BLLOOOOP' sound that starts deep and slowly rises you are referring to? I've never heard it in the wild, but when my pet gobbler makes that sound, you better get the heck out of the pen cause he's about to go medieval on you. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make it with a mouth call, however... I'd love to, as I suspect it would pull any aggressive bird to within 10 yards faster than you could get your gun up.

cowhunter71

Catman's crazy video. First 5 seconds. That's "bubble" clucking at it's finest. Hear a lot of it from hens on the limb and then when they are on the ground close and "searching".

megalomaniac

Gotcha, totally different than what I'm talking about. That hen cluck does work well though. What I'm referring to is more of a deeper 2 toned cluck that is longer and sounds like, "GaLOOOP", almost like a low pitched glob of slime hitting a bucket full of the stuff... Again, I've never heard it in the woods, and my Tom doesn't make that sound often (hens don't do it), but when he does, it's fight club.

catman529

cowhunter71":38sgm537 said:
Catman's crazy video. First 5 seconds. That's "bubble" clucking at it's finest. Hear a lot of it from hens on the limb and then when they are on the ground close and "searching".
never heard of bubble clucking but I figured that sound in the video was a cluck or putt when a hen is trying to find another turkey she heard.

Latest posts