Dumb Fall Planting Questions

gil1

I had my first garden this year, so I'm not up to speed on what the heyall I'm supposed to be doing. :grin:

My garden area is full with the spring/summer plants still going. So can I just take out what's done for the year (like pull out the old, dead corn stalks) and plant some broccoli and spinach? Do I need to re-fertilize that area? Do I plant plants or seeds? I'm asking because I don't think I've seen any broccoli plants at Co-ops or Home Depot. Thanks so much.

catman529

I am inexperienced with fall planting... I only have a few tomatoes producing and all the hot peppers, but most other stuff of mine is done for the year.

I think it would be best to plant broccoli seedlings rather than seeds but I'm not sure where you could buy em. Again I don't know a lot about fall planting and probably won't get around to doing it this year.

Good luck finding transplants, and fertilizing would probably be up to you, I never fertilize but that's because the soil here is plenty fertile.

Sako

Go with seedlings.... they are just starting to show up around here.... call the co-op and ask when they wil be getting them in.... I would fertalize agin...

spoon

I plant from seeds greens (7 top, purple top, mustard, kale and rape), spinach and garlic.

Planted everything but the garlic so far

WTM

ive put out onion sets and garlic in august, and sowed some purple top turnips and spinach. like 300mag said, if you planting were corn was might need to side dress a little.

Farm manager

Gil,
I would suggest when you get done gardening that you clean off all the stalks and old plant residue, turn the garden and then sow it with either turnips/kale/mustard, wheat, or austrian winter peas for a cover crop. You will turn that under in the spring to help build your soil quality. It is almost as good as putting manure on your garden.

gil1

Farm manager said:
Gil,
I would suggest when you get done gardening that you clean off all the stalks and old plant residue, turn the garden and then sow it with either turnips/kale/mustard, wheat, or austrian winter peas for a cover crop. You will turn that under in the spring to help build your soil quality. It is almost as good as putting manure on your garden.

Thanks for the info. A few days ago, I cleaned off everything except for my fall greens, spread some compost on the rest, and planted winter wheat for a cover crop. I'll turn it all up for spring, put more compost N such on the whole garden, and get going on the spring/summer veggies. Sure is fun figuring all this out.

Latest posts