3/4 cup finely chopped celery

1 wild turkey breast fillet cut in 2in chunks
4 mallard breast fillets cut in 2 in chunks
1 pound adouille sausage sliced 1/4 in
creole or cajun powder
2 tbl sp chopped garlic
3 tbl spoon olive oil
4 cans or 8 cups chicken stock or broth
1/2 cup thinly sliced okra or 1 teaspoon gumbo file't powder(you do not use both, just one or the other)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

making gumbo is not easy and it is time consuming, but well worth the work. you want to get all your vegetables chopped and meat cut and cooked before you make the roux.

cook that meat:
coat duck and turkey with cajun or creole seasoning. in a large fry pan on med-high heat, add 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, sear the duck about 2 min, then sear the other side of the chunks 2 min. remove and set aside the duck on a plate. add a little more oil, then sear the turkey on both side until done. set aside with the duck.

deslime that okra:
if you dont deslime the okra, then you will have a mess if you put raw okra in the gumbo. it will be slimy!! in a frying pan heat some oil on med-high heat. use enough oil to cover the okra. put in the okra and fry for about 5 min until okra just about falls apart, strain out with a spoon and set aside. discard oil.

its all in the roux. ok, first off be careful and be prepared to constantly stir. roux can get up to 400 degrees when finished. you can make it ahead of time, cool and refrigerate covered a day ahead.

directions for roux:
in a large, clean stainless steel pot, pour in the oil. turn stove to med high heat. using a wire wisk, slowly pour in flour. continue heating on med high heat and KEEP STIRRING. you will see the roux changing color. when you get the color of a copper penny you are done, this is a creole roux(i like this color roux when using white and dark meat together). this will take about 15-20 minutes of constant stirring. (if you get black specs or burn the roux, throw it out and start over. it will be bitter if you use it.) turn off heat and allow to cool if you are making ahead of time, if not go to the next step.

gumbo:
add the onions to the roux. return to medium heat and cook for app 2 min. this will make the roux darker, then pour in bell pepper, celery, garlic.(keep stirring) cook until tender, about 5 min. add the cooked okra,meat and sausage. pour in the broth slowly while stirring, this will incorporate instead of clumping the gumbo. add the rest of the spices and. bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for 1 hr uncovered, occasionally skimming off any foam and oil, then stir pot after skimming. cook for another 1/2 hour. skim off oil and foam. the gumbo should be thick enough by now to serve. you can refrigerate the leftovers, and it is even better the next day.

serve over a bed of rice and good loaf french bread.

mike243

when i make mine i leave out the okra,if i dont have time/busy with other things around the house i add my rice to the pot after i get the trinity cooked,i add 2 cups more of broth than the rice calls for & let slow simmer for several hrs,30 min before i eat i will sometimes add the little precooked shrimp,add some good bread & look out :) ,i dont duck hunt & the wild turkey breast well lets just say i sub chicken cause i want to eat this more than once every 5 years :) ,mike243

WTM

Hawk said:
Nice!!!!! Only thing you left out was a nice bottle of wine.

shoot far i cant believe i forgot the wine. i also forgot a bottle of LA hot sauce to set on the table so each person can add a little heat to their liking!!

thanks for pointing out the oversight!

WTM

JimFromTN said:
I know this may be sacrallige to some but I have always made it with frozen okra.

frozen okra is alright to use. just deslime cook it first. you can use filet powder(i make my own). if you use filet, i always seem to add it last, off the heat, and sprinkled on top then cover for 15 min. i learned that if you add filet first it will make you gumbo kinda stringy. for gumbo, i dont like it, cause it wouldnt really be gumbo without okra.

JimFromTN

I think that depends on which street you grew up on in LA, but you are right. I would expect gumbo to be more like a soup and served in a bowl. That being said, it shore do look good and I would not turn down a big ole plate of it. Someone pass me the hot sauce.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Gumbo gotta have okra. Boil it for a few minutes first to deslime it.

Wine my azze. Gumbo goes with Jax beer.

BTW- There is some broad on TV right now making jambalya in a crock pot. I think I'll puke. She doesn't have a clue how to slice the sausage and she is using canned tomatoes and turkey sausage. I'm already gagging, she is going to cook it seven hours.

WTM

well when i took the pic for the forum these were leftovers, and naturally thickened up a bit. my son was off to college, and i was the only one eating on it. my wife wont eat it, probably from the bad experience when i first met her and took her to maw maw's for saturday dinner.(thats the 12pm meal, not supper) i think it was the squirrel heads that day that turned her stomach not the gumbo. but anyways, she wont eat it. i thinks its always better on the 2nd or 3rd day anyways.

kdxdude

bowriter said:
Gumbo gotta have okra. Boil it for a few minutes first to deslime it.

Wine my azze. Gumbo goes with Jax beer.

BTW- There is some broad on TV right now making jambalya in a crock pot. I think I'll puke. She doesn't have a clue how to slice the sausage and she is using canned tomatoes and turkey sausage. I'm already gagging, she is going to cook it seven hours.

Maybe she is fixing it to her liking instead of bowriter's liking. Just a thought.

ShaneHallum

I'm deprived, I have never tasted any form of gumbo.

I know this is kinda off the topic of the recipe. But is there anywhere in the middle of the state that serves a good gumbo?

WTM

mwids said:
A true cajun never uses okra ,and yes much thinner.

well like ive said before, im sure that argument has started many a fist fight. i cook a lot of my stuff the way my maw maw cooked it, and she always used okry. and if you read a couple of posts up it was like soup, the pic was after a few days in the frig into the microwave. guess i should have heated it up on the stove with a little broth, but it was still good.

besides bowriter is a true cajun and he uses okry so there!!

Latest posts