Duck Hunt Guides Posted

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ruger I will not attempt to change your mind but I know for a fact it was not a "done" deal ahead of time. More who wanted the changes and or more who were for change expressed their opinions
10-4
We will agree to disagree on this one.
I don't doubt you believe that at all.
I respect you just because of a mutual friend so that's all I will say.

WilcoKen

Think the info is intended for the tier 2 and tier 3 deals where someone is drawn but doesn't have the stuff to get to or hunt the blind effectively. Which is actually pretty laughable imo. If you can't get yourself to the blind that is your business and not the place of twra to make matchmaker with a private business to get you a better hunt than you could get on your own.
This is what I think as well. CMN's post about new tactics makes sense too for certain cases. I will say that if I'm going to pay a guide its not going to be for a public land Tier 2/3 blind hunting. That would not seem worth it to me.
I am assuming the hunter is paying the guide fee and not someone else. After all, the hunters of TN have already paid for the blinds TWRA are building. Please tell me that doesn't include guide services as well. At this point I wouldn't rule out anything.

drake799

Ruger I will not attempt to change your mind but I know for a fact it was not a "done" deal ahead of time. More who wanted the changes and or more who were for change expressed their opinions
Ruger I think what he meant to say is only the ones that wanted the changes were ask

WilcoKen

all over the state.
Thanks cmn. With regards to Tier 2 guided hunts—who pays the guide? The hunter or TWRA? I only ask because TWRA is furnishing the fully serviced Tier 2 blinds so I'm wondering if they also subsidize a guide for showing out of area hunters how to get to blind etc. so the blinds don't go unused.

I would think they wouldn't subsidize a guide but at this point I wouldn't be surprised. It just seems odd they would publish guides right under the Tier 2/3 section on the site.

TAFKAP

On the TWRA site. Not sure if the link works. They've added some names since it first came out. Scroll to bottom.

Oh wow, I thought it was the results of a search function you did. I'm wondering by what fortune those particular guys get to be published as TWRA duck guides

TAFKAP

TWRA asked if any duck hunting guides wanted to list their names to help in case people had blinds and wanted one. They DID NOT automatically put a name on. the list

I wonder if they sent out a "Survey" to all of last year's licensed guides........

troll GIF

WilcoKen

Oh wow, I thought it was the results of a search function you did. I'm wondering by what fortune those particular guys get to be published as TWRA duck guides
I've wondered the same thing. It's just odd why and probably how those names got on there. What's "in it" for those guides?

rsimms

The guide list came after TWRA sent out an e-mail to everyone who holds a current "Guide License" in Tennessee. I received one (see below). Obviously I didn't reply because I'm a fishing guide, not duck hunting. I did ask them why they don't do the same for fishing guides. But my earlier post pointed out that very few, if ANY Reelfoot guides replied. I assume that is because, from my experience, there is widespread institutional distrust for TWRA around Reelfoot (and based on the ongoing duck blind controversy, now across the state).

But I am not ashamed to say publicly that I believe actions the TWRA staffers take, do have the best interests of sportsmen at heart. I'll say it again - I sincerely believe the change in the system was well-intended.

Do I agree that they arrived at the best methodology to achieve that goal?

That would be a BIG "No, I do not." It is a confusing mess that makes even seasoned WMA hunters go cross-eyed. I cannot IMAGINE what it looks like to a newcomer.

And did they royally screw up the first-ever drawing under the new system? Yea, they did. Random or not, poor communication and a serious lack of oversight led to some folks getting blinds who shouldn't have, and others not getting blinds who should have. I found the "apology" offered at the most recent Commission meeting somewhat lukewarm. I saw more sincere concern about the hassles the screw-up caused Commissioners than there was about the concerns of sportsmen and the black eye it caused the Agency.

On the upside, those folks who apply for the remaining drawings this season won't have to pay the $12 fee.

All that said, I don't ever see a return to handheld draws. COVID started the "computer drawing" ball rolling down the hill... and I think it has rolled too hard and too fast to ever turn it around. On select WMA's (emphasis on "select"), I have long been a proponent of the system Michigan uses... portable blinds/set-ups only, with DAILY drawings (actually twice a day, AM and PM), for hunting locations. But, I can never see TWRA staffers having the willingness to make such a commitment.

I do hope in the coming years there will be "tweaks" to the system. But I fear those lobbying for a return to "the old ways" are spinning their wheels. Maybe I'm wrong. I've been wrong at least once before. But for now:
--------------------------
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.
---------------------------
guide_solicit.jpg

WilcoKen

The guide list came after TWRA sent out an e-mail to everyone who holds a current "Guide License" in Tennessee. I received one (see below). Obviously I didn't reply because I'm a fishing guide, not duck hunting. I did ask them why they don't do the same for fishing guides. But my earlier post pointed out that very few, if ANY Reelfoot guides replied. I assume that is because, from my experience, there is widespread institutional distrust for TWRA around Reelfoot (and based on the ongoing duck blind controversy, now across the state).

But I am not ashamed to say publicly that I believe actions the TWRA staffers take, do have the best interests of sportsmen at heart. I'll say it again - I sincerely believe the change in the system was well-intended.

That would be a BIG "No, I do not." It is a confusing mess that makes even seasoned WMA hunters go cross-eyed. I cannot IMAGINE what it looks like to a newcomer.

And did they royally screw up the first-ever drawing under the new system? Yea, they did. Random or not, poor communication and a serious lack of oversight led to some folks getting blinds who shouldn't have, and others not getting blinds who should have. I found the "apology" offered at the most recent Commission meeting somewhat lukewarm. I saw more sincere concern about the hassles the screw-up caused Commissioners than there was about the concerns of sportsmen and the black eye it caused the Agency.

On the upside, those folks who apply for the remaining drawings this season won't have to pay the $12 fee.

All that said, I don't ever see a return to handheld draws. COVID started the "computer drawing" ball rolling down the hill... and I think it has rolled too hard and too fast to ever turn it around. On select WMA's (emphasis on "select"), I have long been a proponent of the system Michigan uses... portable blinds/set-ups only, with DAILY drawings (actually twice a day, AM and PM), for hunting locations. But, I can never see TWRA staffers having the willingness to make such a commitment.

I do hope in the coming years there will be "tweaks" to the system. But I fear those lobbying for a return to "the old ways" are spinning their wheels. Maybe I'm wrong. I've been wrong at least once before. But for now:
View attachment 114115
Good post Mr Simms. I agree—it will never go back. As for the guides listed, I checked a few out. The first one I looked up had zero details about waterfowl hunts. Same with the second one I looked up. Very odd.

I do believe the agency is throwing whatever they can to see what sticks to the wall. It's all been poorly planned and thought out. Zero strategy involved the way I see it. That's not a good use of the resources the 10s of thousands of TN hunters pay for. And we are stuck with it from now on.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled

View attachment 114115
They can go back, but they won't. That would mean they'd have to admit that they made a mistake, at least in the way they went about it. They've wanted to go to electronic draw for years, COVID just gave them the excuse. And they've botched both draws that they've held electronically, albeit this years much worse than last. And for those of us that buy the sportsman's license, there was no fee anyhow to enter the early/mid/late segment draws, so that $12 or so savings doesn't apply. Personally, I figure there are more changes coming. I hope they're able to correct things, but my fear is that they'll continue to make things worse and drive more people out of the duck hunting game.

cmn

Thanks cmn. With regards to Tier 2 guided hunts—who pays the guide? The hunter or TWRA? I only ask because TWRA is furnishing the fully serviced Tier 2 blinds so I'm wondering if they also subsidize a guide for showing out of area hunters how to get to blind etc. so the blinds don't go unused.

I would think they wouldn't subsidize a guide but at this point I wouldn't be surprised. It just seems odd they would publish guides right under the Tier 2/3 section on the site.
hunters

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
They can go back, but they won't. That would mean they'd have to admit that they made a mistake, at least in the way they went about it. They've wanted to go to electronic draw for years, COVID just gave them the excuse. And they've botched both draws that they've held electronically, albeit this years much worse than last. And for those of us that buy the sportsman's license, there was no fee anyhow to enter the early/mid/late segment draws, so that $12 or so savings doesn't apply. Personally, I figure there are more changes coming. I hope they're able to correct things, but my fear is that they'll continue to make things worse and drive more people out of the duck hunting game.
Twra sucks

Smashdn

KY had an in-person draw today for Lake Barkley. Wear a mask if you were inclined. COE rangers were because I think they have to being federalis. KY possum cops were not.

In-person draw still worked. Put your name on a slip of paper. They checked your license, stamps, hip after you were drawn. You get one sign on only and you can only be drawn for one blind and a sign on for another.

100+ sites drawn in about 45 minutes.

WilcoKen

KY had an in-person draw today for Lake Barkley. Wear a mask if you were inclined. COE rangers were because I think they have to being federalis. KY possum cops were not.

In-person draw still worked. Put your name on a slip of paper. They checked your license, stamps, hip after you were drawn. You get one sign on only and you can only be drawn for one blind and a sign on for another.

100+ sites drawn in about 45 minutes.
Wait a minute—this makes too much sense.

usanglure

I'm glad they listed guides, but also should list fishing guides too. Some people (self included) don't have time or resources to know about blind system or location to hunt. Although i am a second year member in a Duck lease I still don't know Krap.... so i will utilize names/numbers to some extent this year. And probably next. I feel if i'm dissatisfied with one or more i can publicly complain to TWRA at that point in time.

cmn

I'm glad they listed guides, but also should list fishing guides too. Some people (self included) don't have time or resources to know about blind system or location to hunt. Although i am a second year member in a Duck lease I still don't know Krap.... so i will utilize names/numbers to some extent this year. And probably next. I feel if i'm dissatisfied with one or more i can publicly complain to TWRA at that point in time.
TWRA will not be responsible for the guides listed...Myself included. This is what has kept them from listing years ago. Just remember do your homework and ask for referrals/ references always when booking a guide!

Latest posts