Shelby Forest Duck hunt?

JLRSR5

I used to live in Memphis for several years and have made it up to Shelby Forest several times prior to moving away, more so to the park/disc golf area. So I am somewhat familiar with parts of it. But I have a question as far as duck hunting spot 6,as I have been drawn for here.

My brother has hunted Eagle Lake spot 1 before and I know there is the small boat ramp you can put in for spots (1-5). But for spots (6-9) I read on here those are walk in only.

My question is where is the best spot to walk in for spot 6? Is there a designated parking area for walking into spot 6?

Also are you standing in water to hunt that spot? Just trying to get an idea what all I'll want to haul in there for the walk in.
I know spots (1-5), if we get a lot of rain can get pretty deep. The walk in spots (6-9) does it ever become too deep to walk in or is it usually pretty shallow?

I've tried calling the officer over the area but thus far haven't got a call back. Thanks for the info!

Levee Jumper

Never been there so can't help, but I did get excited counting how many times you typed "spot(s)" while reading your post. Actually stopped, started over and gave a little fist pump when i realized you got 10 in there!

Good luck hunting your spot.

TAFKAP

Shelby Forest #6 is probably the easiest to access. Drive down Grassy Lake Road as far as you can go until it ends at a cul-de-sac. Unload your stuff at the gate there, then go back up a bit and park. Walk along the earth-wall dam until the trail just peters out at the bottom. It'll circle around the beaver swamp a bit, and you'll end up along the length of the lake/slough. Your "Spot" is along the east bank of the slough. Bring a fishing pole to snag any runaway decoys. You may want to stash a canoe along the waterline somewhere in case you shoot a duck that's across the lake. You can wade out appx. 30' before it starts to get too deep to get much farther across the slough. But you should have dry land all over that east bank, with some big cypress trees all along to hide behind.

1701380338067.png

TAFKAP

I've tried calling the officer over the area but thus far haven't got a call back. Thanks for the info!

Good luck with that....he's not known for returning phone calls

But seriously, it's the easiest of all the spots. It's a bit of a longer hike, but there's very little in the way of bushwhacking to get there. Spots 7-9 really haven't been doing much shooting in the past few years anyway. most of the ducks killed down there now are either on Eagle Lake or in this #6 spot. If you've got room in your group, I'd love to invite myself along! I've hunted it a few times before.

Haul all your gear down on Thursday morning. They say you can't "scout", but I've been known to drop my decoys on Wednesday afternoon before too. Probably your best time to get your Shelby Forest hunting permit. It's not a TWRA thing, but a State Park way to identify someone that might be lost down there. It's free of charge. It's just a form so that if you get lost, they know who they're looking for.

Jon54

Seeing the map above brings back horrible memories. Eons ago, my brother and I hiked into eagle lake, I believe it was, and an hour after we started fishing a thunderstorm hit us. We toted a small Jon boat in and had to carry it back out.

On the hike out, water moccasins were literally EVERYWHERE. I still have images of lightning strikes and seeing nothing but the white mouths of those damn demons.

Displaced_Vol

Seeing the map above brings back horrible memories. Eons ago, my brother and I hiked into eagle lake, I believe it was, and an hour after we started fishing a thunderstorm hit us. We toted a small Jon boat in and had to carry it back out.

On the hike out, water moccasins were literally EVERYWHERE. I still have images of lightning strikes and seeing nothing but the white mouths of those damn demons.
That's GD terrifying

JLRSR5

Good luck with that....he's not known for returning phone calls

But seriously, it's the easiest of all the spots. It's a bit of a longer hike, but there's very little in the way of bushwhacking to get there. Spots 7-9 really haven't been doing much shooting in the past few years anyway. most of the ducks killed down there now are either on Eagle Lake or in this #6 spot. If you've got room in your group, I'd love to invite myself along! I've hunted it a few times before.

Haul all your gear down on Thursday morning. They say you can't "scout", but I've been known to drop my decoys on Wednesday afternoon before too. Probably your best time to get your Shelby Forest hunting permit. It's not a TWRA thing, but a State Park way to identify someone that might be lost down there. It's free of charge. It's just a form so that if you get lost, they know who they're looking for.
Awesome. That's a huge help and great information, I appreciate it.

As of now we have a full group. There is a chance one guy may be out due to work. If that occurs I'd be happy to shoot you a message and let you know.

JLRSR5

That's what nightmares are made of. I've scouted/hunted a spot early season around Memphis when I lived there, and all I could think about was walking up on one of those. 😬

JLRSR5

My buddy actually got a hold of the area manager Chris and got some of our questions worked out and now have his cell phone. So all is good.

Latest posts