Duck Blind Drawing Is Open

jkelley429

before you criticize the law suit, find out what was said. l promise you, ld be pissed too.
I have seen what was said. I agree it shouldn't have been said at all, but I also believe he had every right to say it. Freedom of speech is still a thing in this country, especially when it comes to talking about public officials.

Not to mention the dangerous precedent this sets. Many will now be afraid to speak out against the commissioners for fear of having to defend against a frivolous lawsuit.

tickweed

I have seen what was said. I agree it shouldn't have been said at all, but I also believe he had every right to say it. Freedom of speech is still a thing in this country, especially when it comes to talking about public officials.

Not to mention the dangerous precedent this sets. Many will now be afraid to speak out against the commissioners for fear of having to defend against a frivolous

Not to mention the dangerous precedent this sets. Many will now be afraid to speak out against the commissioners for fear of having to defend against a

Not to mention the dangerous precedent this sets. Many will now be afraid to speak out against the commissioners for fear of having to defend against a frivolous lawsuit.
if you speak out , and it's a true statement, l understand that. read my final post. the part about being thought a fool, or proving it. l notice you have a total of 12 post on this site. l knew l had never seen, nor heard of you. l would wager, truth be known, you are friends with the guy who has law suit. Son, lm way too old to be baited by you. l know the game all too well. l wish you the best.

jkelley429

if you speak out , and it's a true statement, l understand that. read my final post. the part about being thought a fool, or proving it. l notice you have a total of 12 post on this site. l knew l had never seen, nor heard of you. l would wager, truth be known, you are friends with the guy who has law suit. Son, lm way too old to be baited by you. l know the game all too well. l wish you the best.
No baiting here, and no I've never met the guy. I know of him from various FB groups but that is all.

I don't care if you've never seen or heard of me, I just can't fathom why someone would think 1 sentence of a derogatory insult warrants a $12.5 million lawsuit level of response.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
And just so you know, Angie isnt trying to FIX her mistake. You guys dont have one clue. Angie was one of few commissioners who tried to keep draw as it was, but got bullied by other commissiners. You guys are so unhappy , why dont you just lease a place, or better yet, go buy one. quit depending on the state to provide you one. l like , and am friends with many of you guys. l was going to the drawings back in the seventys, had a crowd of maybe 600. most of you weren't even born. You wanna blame someone, blame the same groups that EVERY year at big sandy from the first card called had runners just race to the one drew, offer big money in front of twra guys to try and buy. it couldnt be enforced, these guys knew it. Twra asked everyone every yr to not do this at start of draw, but these guys kept on. the crowd grew to over 3000, just a public lottery. actual guys who really wanted a spot, who loved the sport, had their odds really reduced. l turned down 16000 for a spot one yr. l tried to do right, l DId do right. So you guys quit blaming TWRA. maybe some of you really dont know, maybe too young. It was a few groups of guys who screwed it for all the legit hunters in the state, mainly big sandy. you guys really need to investigate the facts. l dont agree with every thing TWRA does. never will. some commissioners didnt have a clue. two from east Tn. where the main ones who pushed for the draw. before you criticize the law suit, find out what was said. l promise you, ld be pissed too.
Yes, I know all that, yes I do have a clue.
When I say twra, I mean the commission.
They have to abide by no rules and they do as they wish.
F them.

Should have left it alone.

Dodge Man

I remember learning about this 3 years ago. Goodness, how annoying it would be to build a blind there!

Building a blind is actually not a ton of trouble. I have help build close to half the blinds at Tigrett before the TWRA started replacing them with the crap they build.

Most blind sites are not deep at the blind and have very little water in late summer. You just don't want to build them with a couple people. We usually get a large number of people to bring boats to transport lumber and supplies in.

Dodge Man

I spoke with one of the commissioners earlier today and it sounds like the issue of poor crops is going to be discussed heavily at the August commission meeting. Several of the commissioners are discussing a proposed rule to move the season-long drawing back to April and allow permittees to plant their own approved crops instead of TWRA.
The average person doesn't own the equipment to plant ac of corn. Let alone do they have a clue how much Round up ready corn seed cost? Then to do it right you have to fertilize it and spray for bugs, weeds and fungus. It costs most farmers $500+ an ac to plant corn.

SinningSaint33

The average person doesn't own the equipment to plant ac of corn. Let alone do they have a clue how much Round up ready corn seed cost? Then to do it right you have to fertilize it and spray for bugs, weeds and fungus. It costs most farmers $500+ an ac to plant corn.
I think that guy was just stirring the pot. He ain't been back.

yellalinehunter

Just wait and see all the folks claiming crops were sabotaged by another blind in the field. Crops being manipulated to be deemed baiting and blinds shut down.
Would be hard for me to invest big money to make a pretty duck hole just to end up having someone skybust or shoot my swing. Let alone someone sabotage my hard work.

Dodge Man

Probably so.

I know there has been a recent push by TWRA to go to "moist soil" plants instead of planting corn. Witch basically means they do nothing and let weeds grow up. You can kill some ducks that way but it will not attract and hold large numbers of ducks like corn dose. A good corn crop gives food and cover for ducks.

SinningSaint33

Probably so.

I know there has been a recent push by TWRA to go to "moist soil" plants instead of planting corn. Witch basically means they do nothing and let weeds grow up. You can kill some ducks that way but it will not attract and hold large numbers of ducks like corn dose. A good corn crop gives food and cover for ducks.
Yes sir. I guess it's time to just accept the fact that public land duck hunting will never be what it used to be. I'm just glad that I've got a lot of memories of awesome hunts when it was done halfway right. I'm sad that my kids will likely never get to see some of the things I've seen in Camden bottoms, big Sandy and Harmon's. I was lucky enough to be in on one amazing season and a bunch of amazing hunts in other years.

jkelley429

I was just stating what I was told by a commissioner, not trying to stir the pot. Based on my conversation with two different commissioners, they are discussing this as an option.

I would much rather see TWRA receive the equipment, funding, and manpower needed to continue planting and include a provision to allow cardholders to plant additional crops if they choose.

SinningSaint33

I was just stating what I was told by a commissioner, not trying to stir the pot. Based on my conversation with two different commissioners, they are discussing this as an option.

I would much rather see TWRA receive the equipment, funding, and manpower needed to continue planting and include a provision to allow cardholders to plant additional crops if they choose.
There is no way that plan would ever work. They shouldn't even be discussing it.

jkelley429

There is no way that plan would ever work. They shouldn't even be discussing it.
I completely agree. The commissioners are obviously out of touch with what the hunters want if they honestly think this band-aid solution will fix anything.

The next commission meeting is August 24-25 at Pickwick. Both commissioners I spoke with made it clear that the only way to get anything done is if a large number of duck hunters showed up during this meeting to voice their opinion.

West_Tn

I completely agree. The commissioners are obviously out of touch with what the hunters want if they honestly think this band-aid solution will fix anything.

The next commission meeting is August 24-25 at Pickwick. Both commissioners I spoke with made it clear that the only way to get anything done is if a large number of duck hunters showed up during this meeting to voice their opinion.
It will make zero difference as has already been shown. I mean we've had a lot of people show up and speak at meetings already. Countless emails have been sent to commissioners. Disapproval has clearly been shown on social media. We've have special segments on the news. Their own surveys have shown we want the opposite of what they are doing.

Literally nothing we do will have any bearing on what they do, because they are going to do whatever they want regardless.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
It will make zero difference as has already been shown. I mean we've had a lot of people show up and speak at meetings already. Countless emails have been sent to commissioners. Disapproval has clearly been shown on social media. We've have special segments on the news. Their own surveys have shown we want the opposite of what they are doing.

Literally nothing we do will have any bearing on what they do, because they are going to do whatever they want regardless.
Yep.
Sickening.

West_Tn

They could also save a lot of money on all of these commissioner meeting vacations they go on. For no more than they do they could easily...easily do it on zoom and save the money. Pickwick with the price of the hotel rooms I would estimate they are spending roughly $9,000 just on lodging. That's if it's only 2 nights. If they stay for 3 nights it'd be pushing $14,000. I'm also being conservative saying they bring 25 people. It's probably more. Add in cost of the conference room, and catering no telling what that cost is. Plus I'm sure they are all paid mileage to get there and back.

It's paid vacations for them to go on all over the state all year simple as that. I've watched many of the meetings, and there's no reason they can't accomplish the same thing on Zoom as they do in person.

They've told us basically the same thing when it comes the the in person blind drawing.

Buzzard Breath

They could also save a lot of money on all of these commissioner meeting vacations they go on. For no more than they do they could easily...easily do it on zoom and save the money. Pickwick with the price of the hotel rooms I would estimate they are spending roughly $9,000 just on lodging. That's if it's only 2 nights. If they stay for 3 nights it'd be pushing $14,000. I'm also being conservative saying they bring 25 people. It's probably more. Add in cost of the conference room, and catering no telling what that cost is. Plus I'm sure they are all paid mileage to get there and back.

It's paid vacations for them to go on all over the state all year simple as that. I've watched many of the meetings, and there's no reason they can't accomplish the same thing on Zoom as they do in person.

They've told us basically the same thing when it comes the the in person blind drawing.
All meetings must be public meeting and open to the public at all times.

The Open Meetings Act, commonly referred to as the "Sunshine Law," is found in T.C.A. § 8-44-101 et seq. The requirements of this law are as follows:

1. All meetings of any governing body are declared to be public meetings and must be open to the public at all times. T.C.A. § 8-44-102;
  2. Adequate public notice of all regular and special meetings must be given. T.C.A. § 8-44-103;
  3. The minutes of the meetings must be recorded and open to public inspection and at a minimum must contain a record of the persons present, all motions, proposals and resolutions offered, the results of any votes taken, and a record of individual votes in the event of a roll call. T.C.A. § 8-44-104(a); and
  4. All votes must be by public vote, public ballot, or public roll call; secret votes are prohibited. T.C.A. § 8-44-104(b).
Any action taken in a meeting in violation of any of the foregoing requirements is void. T.C.A. § 8-44-105.

West_Tn

The Open Meetings Act, commonly referred to as the "Sunshine Law," is found in T.C.A. § 8-44-101 et seq. The requirements of this law are as follows:

1. All meetings of any governing body are declared to be public meetings and must be open to the public at all times. T.C.A. § 8-44-102;
  2. Adequate public notice of all regular and special meetings must be given. T.C.A. § 8-44-103;
  3. The minutes of the meetings must be recorded and open to public inspection and at a minimum must contain a record of the persons present, all motions, proposals and resolutions offered, the results of any votes taken, and a record of individual votes in the event of a roll call. T.C.A. § 8-44-104(a); and
  4. All votes must be by public vote, public ballot, or public roll call; secret votes are prohibited. T.C.A. § 8-44-104(b).
Any action taken in a meeting in violation of any of the foregoing requirements is void. T.C.A. § 8-44-105.
Fair enough, but they still don't have to go stay at expensive resorts every time. Margaritaville in Gatlinburg for example.

Omega

Zoom meetings can be made public, all that is needed is an access code to be able to "attend", we do it all the time as I am sure many here do. All the stated requirements above can be accomplished via zoom or other teleconference software.

Latest posts