Sold/Expired Drop Point Hunter Knife

Shag

Been working on this one over two weeks. It's just almost ready to find a forever home. As I type, I'm waiting on the glue to dry so I can sew up the sheath.

Drop point hunter knife from 1075 high carbon steel. Mirror polished blade….at least, as close to a mirror as I've ever gotten one. Stabilized, book matched bocote scales with black G10 liners. Polished, pinned yellow brass guard and hardware.

As I said, working on the sheath right now. Should be ready tomorrow as long as I don't have any screw ups. Which does happen…especially with me and leather working 😂.

$400 TYD PayPal friends and family. Or would be glad to meet FTF and take cash around Cookeville, Sparta, Gainesboro, Carthage.

I'll try to get some good, daylight pictures tomorrow…IF it'll ever quit raining!

Edit: Maybe I priced this one a little too high. How about $310 shipped or $300 FTF. If I can't get that out of it, I'll just keep it for myself.
IMG_2449.jpeg
IMG_2450.jpegIMG_2451.jpeg

Last edited:

Shag

Does stabilized bocote still have its characteristic dill pickle smell?
This was my first time ever working with bocote. It did have a slight smell but nothing overly strong. Now that you mention it…I guess it did kinda have a faint smell of dill pickles.

Shag

Thanks for the kind words guys! And I know $400 is a lot of coin drop on a knife. BUT…I've got over 40 hours of my life tied up in this blade. Plus the expense of the materials….steel, brass, handles, hardware. PLUS all my tools, forges, anvils, belt sander (big $$$ 😂), propane, quenching oils…then all the crap that is expendable: belts, sandpaper, epoxies. I would be money ahead to work at McDonalds. Unfortunately, I do thoroughly enjoy making the damn things! 😂

And I will say, on a public forum, if ANY of my knives EVER gives a problem, send it back and I'll make it right. Now, don't use it for a screwdriver…or use it for an ax…but if you use it like a knife is intended to be used and it fails, I'll make it right.

Shag

Very impressive skills and a beautiful knife! I have been researching having a Loveless style drop point hunter knife made over the past 2 weeks, this one is really close to the original Loveless design.
Only difference is I didn't taper the tang…I haven't gotten hardly that brave yet. And I prefer a Sabre grind to the original hollow grind that Loveless used…the Sabre grind is stronger.

Edit: Oh, and Bob had at least 60 years of experience on me 🤣. But I'm trying.

One more edit: Loveless soldered on his guards. As of right now, I'm at 50% soldered and 50% epoxied on drop point hunter knives. But all of my design dimensions are about as close to the original as I can get them. There are always variances…I couldn't make 2 knives exactly the same to save my life…too many little variables through the process.

Last edited:

Latest posts